Liver And Mosquitoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timeloyd

Washing Up
Carbondale, Ill. U.S.A. Earth / ZZ 9 Plural Z A
I never cared for Mosquitoes and don't like Liver much either. Thart is until I was with a friend checkiun CatFish Traps. I noticed that the Mosquitoes did not seem to bother him and could not figure out why until I was given the Liver he was putting in the Catfish traps,
It seems when I carried the Liver the mosquities did not bother me. I got an idea and next time I went to a primative Rondezvous along the Mississipi River I took a quarter pound beef liver, and a quarter pound chicken liver in 2 Zip Lock Bags.
As I talked to a guy there I suggested sitting down on a log. He pointed out the log had a cloud of mosquitoes arroiund it.
I told him I wanted to see if the Liver would get rid of the Mosquitos and told him about what happened setting Cat Fish traps.
He agreed so with a bag of liver in my trail bag, as the other was in my tent we walked toward the log. As we approched the log the Mosquitoes started moving away from us until we reached the log and they were gone. It seems they hated Liver as much if not more then I did. And the Liver was sealed in a Ziplock Bag in my trail pack. Yet the Mosquitoes moved away and stayed away as we sat on the log and talked.
Later we went to eat some of the whole side of Beef that had been cooking and basting .. over a large outdoor fire. But as we waited and ate it the Mosquitoes appeared and stayed around us for about an hour after we ate.
It seems the odor of the side of beef was stronger then that of the Liver and the Mosquitoes did not mind the Liver anymore after we got near the beef and started eating and ate it despite the Mosquitoes around us..
About an hour later they suddenly disappeared again. I think that the odor of the cooked Beef we had eaten was no longer stromger then that of the Liver and so they left.
I decided to stay away from fried and cooked meat in Mosquito country wever since and instead carry 1/4 lb. of Liver sealed tightly in a Zip Log bag.
Oh yes the other sealed Zip Lock bag of Liver. It was in the Portage Pack in my open Canvas Diamond Shelter Lean To. There were no Mosquitoes arround when I got to it, and I wasn't bitten by any of them, but slept better then lots of the others camped there near the river.
I could not tell which worked better the 1/4 lb. Chicken Liver or the 1/4 lb. Beef Liver. Maybe someone can check it out.
Oh yes before I got in the car to come back I put the Liver on the ground for the Dogs and Varmints who quickly found and happily ate it.
I used to hate Liver until I found out that the Mosquitoes hate it so much they don't like being near it.. I now take 1/4 lb. of Liver in sealed Zip Lock bags with me to keep the Mosquitoes away. It works even if in my Trail Bag and drives the Mosquitoes away. I don't have to eat the Liver. Just cary the Liver in a sealed Zip Lock bag and stay away from fried and cooked meats.

I have a question.....how can anybody NOT like beef liver? Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Timeloyd said:
Later we went to eat some of the whole side of Beef that had been cooking and basting .. over a large outdoor fire. But as we waited and ate it the Mosquitoes appeared and stayed around us for about an hour after we ate.
It seems the odor of the side of beef was stronger then that of the Liver and the Mosquitoes did not mind the Liver anymore after we got near the beef and started eating and ate it despite the Mosquitoes around us..
About an hour later they suddenly disappeared again. I think that the odor of the cooked Beef we had eaten was no longer stromger then that of the Liver and so they left..

How long did you keep the outdoor fire going? Maybe it's the warmth of the fire that attracted the mosquitoes and not the beef odor. (Just based on my experience that mosquitoes, at least the tropical ones, prefer warmth to cold.)

Chopstix, Timeloyd lives in my area, in Southern Illinois, right in the middle of the USA. We have the Culex and the Aedes (floodwater) mosquitoes here. The later is no problem, but the Culex spreads encepahlitis and West Nile Virus to humans, and heartworms to dogs.
I have a natural immunity to these mosquitoes, passed on from my dad. They may buzz me, but they don't bite.

But years ago, before Sanibel Island got their Salt Marsh Mosquitoes (ubiquitous) under control (by natural methods), those suckers used to eat me up...literally. I'd have gladly carried a piece of liver with me when I went shelling on the beach at 5:30 AM.

I'm not going to read that whole thing but when we are camping, the fire keeps the mosquitoes away.

Constance said:
Chopstix, Timeloyd lives in my area, in Southern Illinois, right in the middle of the USA. We have the Culex and the Aedes (floodwater) mosquitoes here. The later is no problem, but the Culex spreads encepahlitis and West Nile Virus to humans, and heartworms to dogs.
I have a natural immunity to these mosquitoes, passed on from my dad. They may buzz me, but they don't bite.

But years ago, before Sanibel Island got their Salt Marsh Mosquitoes (ubiquitous) under control (by natural methods), those suckers used to eat me up...literally. I'd have gladly carried a piece of liver with me when I went shelling on the beach at 5:30 AM.

Constance, I don't know why but mosquitoes just love the smell of my blood. There'd be several of us, but the one person who'd get bitten many times would be me. People wouldn't believe me when I complain about the presence of mosquitoes until I show them the swelling bite marks. I've read somewhere that this kind of susceptibility occurs when one's body is particularly warmer than the others. And if there's even one single mosquito in the bedroom, it's guaranteed that I won't get any sleep the entire night.
Luckily mosquitoes are not a problem where I live.

The Liver keeps Mosquitoes away by carrying it in a sealed Zip Lock Bag in your Trail or Back Pack. I even left some in the Portage Pack in my Lean To.
I have not had Permanent success carring Fire with me when I am hiking and living in Mosquito country. to keep the Mosquotoes away. Insect repellents can wash off with persperation if you get too hot so lose effectiveness..
If the fire is in front of your tent and the wind shifts smoke gets in your eyes and even follows you if you move around.
The fire I refered to was a real large Fire over which a large half a cow was cooked and turned on a spit. The mosquitoes came arround us when we got in smelling distance of the cooked meat and ate it. They then followed us when we left the area for BOUT AN HOUR AFTER WE ATE THEN DISAPPEARED.
I sleep without a fire in the summer when it is REAL hot in an open Canvas lean~to that can not be closed completely. The mosquitoes did not enter the open leanto which had the bag of Liver in it.
I just heard on the Tube that the first West Nile disease case has occured here in Illinois caused by Mosquitoe bites.
I got to get some more Liver and Zip Lock bags to keep the Mosquitoes away from me so I won't catch it nor be bothered by Mosquitoes.
As for why I don't like Liver ~ when I was a wee one and growing up whenever and only when we were sick Mom fried and made us eat liver. Something about it purifying the blood and helping me to get well so I had to eat alot of it.. but I never liked it. Maybe because it reminds me of when I was sick.
When I say I hate or don't like something remember my brag. "I will eat anything what grows, crawls or climbs what can be et." I will eat it if I have to if it is edible. Still I never had liver that tasted good.

Last edited:
timelloyd, remind me to camp well away from you in bear country.

remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, just the slowest guy in your camp...

Hmmm that reminds me of my poor grandmother. Way back in the 50's she had to eat raw liver for about a week. I don't remember what they said was wrong with her, something to do with the blood, NOW that is nasty. There is no way raw liver will pass these lips.

You are the most long winded person I know.
Can you ever write you recipe with out writing a novel?
Novels are another forum
Sorry - but- I always speak the truth

letscook said:
You are the most long winded person I know.
Can you ever write you recipe with out writing a novel?
Novels are another forum
Sorry - but- I always speak the truth

Actually I LOVE the stories that goes along with the recipes and I always include the tale of woe or success if I can. I think it makes for more interesting reading and I say.......DON'T STOP!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom