How many "ply" should cookware be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silver

Senior Cook
So for Christmas we got some nice Lagostina "Tavola Mia Encapsulated Base" cookware. This basically stainless steel cookware with an aluminum "pattie" in the base, for lack of a better word. The link is here:

http://www.lagostina.com/eng/prodstaitavolamia.html

Unfortunately, where my dad thought he was doing us a favour by not getting us steel handled cookware, we can't put it in the oven (and there are no skillets in the set, either). It's nice stuff, but I wouldn't mind 'upgrading' now that I'm becoming Mr. Chef extraordinaire.

I was looking at this:

http://www.costco.ca/en-CA/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10290836&whse=BCCA&topnav=&cat=208&hierPath=20442*208*

Basically:

Costco said:
Kirkland Signature™ products are designed and produced with only the finest quality materials and workmanship available. This beautifully fashioned cookware demonstrates the Italian style with its elegant curved design and flared rim for easy pouring. Constructed of 18/10 stainless steel, the copper-bonded 5-ply base is manufactured to allow even and efficient transfer of heat while eliminating hot spots.

Each pan is manufactured with a 5-ply base construction consisting of 2 layers of stainless steel, 2 layers of aluminum and a copper core. The substantial impact-bonded base enables the pan to reach and maintain the desired cooking temperature quickly and evenly. This cookware is durable, elegant and easy to maintain.

Features:
  • 18/10 stainless-steel cookware
  • Copper-bonded five-ply base
  • Heavy-gauge, mirror-polished stainless steel for beauty and durability
  • Non-reactive and non-porous mirror-polished exterior
  • Handcrafted, hand-polished, hollow-cast, ergonomically designed handles for natural wrist position and comfort
  • Heavy-gauge, dimple-dome shaped lids fit precisely for heat- and nutrient-retention
  • Flared edges for easy pouring
  • 3 covered saucepans:
  • 14 cm (5.5 in.), capacity: 1.42 L
  • 16 cm (6.3 in.), capacity: 1.89 L
  • 20 cm (7.9 in.), capacity: 3.79 L
  • 2 flared edge skillets:
  • 21.5 cm (8.5 in.)
  • 25 cm (9.8 in.)
  • Steamer insert: 16 cm (6.3 in.), capacity: 1.89 L
  • Covered stockpot: 24 cm (9.5 in.), capacity: 8.04 L
  • Covered sauté pan: 24 cm (9.5 in.), capacity: 3.31 L
  • Can be used on gas, electric, halogen and ceramic burners
  • Oven safe at temperatures up to 260°C (500°F)
  • Not recommended for broiling

So now I'm at a bit of a loss. Do I really need new pots or should I just put a few good steel skillets? I have some crappy non-stick stuff that's about ready to be turfed (flaking in the food kinda ready) and will probably keep the one or two non-sticks that are in decent shape (instead of the 8 or so that I have now). How often will I (if ever) put a pot in the oven? Will skillets be enough? Can I buy skillets with lids or buy separates or whatever?

Agh, so much to know, so little understanding...so thanks for your help, I hope to get this sorted out soon (birthday's in two weeks and I'd like to offer "educated" ideas).

Thanks!

EDIT! I forgot about the original question :LOL: I've seen posts here about "9-ply" etc...if I do go S/S, how many ply is good enough for an amateur home cook (who really wants to get better)? I think most of the stuff that I've seen in reasonable price ranges is about 5-ply. Thanks!

what the heck am I talking about? 9-ply? I think I'm going crazy...I haven't seen 9 ply comments after all

agh, I think I'm being overcome with information, hah

Tri-ply will do the trick.

Also, you current set is probably OK in the oven up to 350 F or higher. I had a Farberware set with bakelite handles and put them intot he oven on a regular basis.

If you want to buy new stuff, check out the Cookware forum. There's lots of good info there.

Someone on the Food net, I can't remember who, maybe Alton Brown, to cover your handles with aluminum foil. I was glad to get this one. I know how you must feel about Bakelite knobs/handles.

bev,

you mean that you can put the pots in with the bakelite covered in aluminum foil?

just to be clear...

if so, that's a great tip, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom