What are your roots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a mutt. Cherokee Indian, Hungarian, Irish, Polish, Dutch, Italian, German.
That's just the ones I know of !

My ancesters are Armenian. Both parents were born and grew up in Armenia and surrounding countries and immigrated to the USA in the early 1920s.

Mom is mostly Danish with a little Norwegian and English.
Dad is mostly German with a little Irish.

corazon90 said:
Have you ever been over to visit Andy? Do you still have family there?

I've never been. My Mom and her sisters and brother went back in the 70s.

There are some distant relatives but no one the family has been in contact with.

I grew up in an Armenian household in Massachusetts. Armenian spoken, Armenian foods served, my parents Armenian friends invited to visit.

I grew up bi-linguial but have last the vocabulary since I got married to someone who didn't speak the language.

My Grandmother (Mom's Mother) was born in Durham England and her Father was born in Glasgow Scotland. Dad's Parents were from the Midwest but going back a century or less they were from Nottingham shire England.

My maternal grandmother was German and my paternal grandfather was Irish. I don't know about the rest. We have traced my grandmother's family back to 1756 where they lived in the Bavarian section of Germany before coming to the States via England. I have no idea what all that makes me.

I am backwards. :cool: I'm half Swedish (my mom's parents were both born in Sweden--met here) and I don't drink coffee, and I'm half German and I don't drink beer. Plus I am 100% true blue American.

:) Barbara

I am half Japanese and half Chinese. My family immigrated to Hawaii in the late 1800s. I am 4th generation on the Japanese side and 5th generation on the Chinese side which pretty much makes me 110% American. I can't speak or understand barely anything (except for culinary terms, swear words, and basic conversational phrases) which suprises most Asians on the mainland who are either 1st generation or F.O.B. (Fresh Off the Boat). In Hawaii, it's pretty much expected that unless you are Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino, or Thai/Cambodian/Laotian that you can't speak your native language and that English is your first, second, and third language.

lol ic. my best friend in high school was like you, asian, but american was his only language and culture. he was practically waspy.

andy, did your family endure the armenian holocaust of '15-'17? it's something that all people should edumacate themselves about, since genocide is still going on around the world.

for me, i am 1/2 irish, and 1/2 norwegian.

dad was born here but raised in ireland. my grandfather, from co. cavan, emigrated to the u.s. just before the first world war. he fought in france for the u.s., getting 2 purple hearts (mean cavan bastid that he was). after the war, he married another emigre from co. mayo, had my dad, and moved back to ireland to live on a small farm, having several more children. they were actually well off with the disability $$ from the u.s gov't., and running a successful farm. my father remembers being the first family in his town with electricity, and indoor plumbing, a maid, and a car. towards the end of the 30's, my grandfather saw wwii coming, so he moved the family back to brooklyn, just in time for my dad to fight in wwii.

my mom's family moved to the states from oslo, norway in the '20's, and my mom was born and raised in brooklyn with 3 brothers and 3 sisters. some of the family went back to norway, living in oslo and places so far north you'd see russian submarines passing by on their way home on nice days.
i still have cousins there, mostly in oslo. i really should make the effort to contact them someday.

Last edited:
I am half Swedish, and half English...I burn to a crisp, and stay tan for no more the 3 days. Moved to the States in the 80's and have dual citizenship with the U.S. and U.K.

I guess I am an imported American? I LOVE IT HERE THOUGH! USA>all

Interesting question.

I am a real mongrel: My father English with Irish mother and Welch roots to the English side of family. My Mother New Zealand with Swedish/Scottish/Irish roots, my half sister is also of French decent. I feel connected to all my genetic cultures. But then as well, my family travelled a lot, I came to England to go to school when I was 8, but before that and during holidays lived in Southern States, West Indies, Carribean and France. So I also feel connected to those cultures. My husband is an Anglo-Italian guy of Jeqish decent. He also lived around the world as a kid, though mainly in Italy. His sister was brought up mainly in France. Family conversations are amazing here. His dad says somethng in English which his sister replies to in French, my husband and his brother chip in in Italian and I have a sort of a hybrid European response answering in English, French, Spanish or my very limited Italian, but usually a hybrid of them all. Somehow we all understand what the other is saying and it has never caused a problem. Just agreeing to speak all in the same language would be too simple! LOL. What's tricky is when people are here and I always have to remind my family to speak in a language that our guests can understand....it causes rows! When I first came my brother and sister in law would just speak Italian whent the conversation did not involve me and it was very rude.

All I can say is god help our kids!!!!

My Dad's parents are from Sicily and Mom's Mom is from Puerto Rico and her Dad from Salamanca.Spain.My father's parents raised their family in Brooklyn, NY and my Mom's in Washington Heights,NY.My siblings and I learned the swear words of both cultures!!!My father was absolutely opposed to us learning spanish but, my "abuelita" would teach us everything she could on the sly. My Dad's parents were very difficult to understand and so we didn't actually find out we were swearing until we repeated something my grandfather had said and got in trouble for it!!!:)
My husband's family had been in this country - in this area since 1714-both sides original Dutch settlers.For some reason I find that more interesting- they certainly are more laid back-

Back
Top Bottom