Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Snack before bedtime?? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/snack-before-bedtime-2308.html)

Juliev 09-06-2004 09:06 PM

Snack before bedtime??

Marmalady made me think of this ..

It's a couple hours before you crawl in bed.. your tummy is grumbling.. you kind of have an appetite, but not for anything big. What is one snack that you would probably run for?

I think I would have to say.. a few RITZ crackers.. with some pepperoni and melted cheese!

Barbara L 09-06-2004 09:23 PM

Whatever is handy and quick. Yogurt, a piece of cheese, a banana, a little ice cream, or a few cookies all sound good. I don't have any of them, but they sound good!

:) Barbara

Andy M. 09-06-2004 10:18 PM

It has to be sweet! If I have ice cream or frozen yogurt around, great. Cookies and milk will do, also. When I'm craving something and the cupboard is bare, I'll have a waffle with PB&J.

AllenOK 09-06-2004 11:10 PM

I prefer something sweet. But, I'll settle for just about anything.

Lord help me if I've actually baked something good. It doesn't last long. The last time I made a cake (12" pineapple upside-down cake), my MIL half 1/4 OF IT AT ONE SETTING!

middie 09-07-2004 12:12 AM

CEREAL!!!!
every time.

cookienut 09-07-2004 01:07 AM

I have very strange needs. On one hand I love peanut butter on butter crackers before I go to bed. But then 30 minutes later, I need something so very sweet, and when I can don't have it, I have to make my own right then and there, no matter what time it is. So I make a whole batch batch of toll house cookies with milk chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. And then my husband and I eat the whole bag without realizing it. Warm cookies kind of have a finishing hold on you. :twisted: It's not normal at all but we have to eat each and every cookie.

masteraznchefjr 09-07-2004 05:30 AM

some cereal

Juliev 09-07-2004 05:58 AM

Yeah.. I get the cereal idea.. middie knows I like Frankenberry.. lol

Yeah, Allen I try not to bake anything (cakes, brownies) just for myself... it's a dangerous commodity .. lol.. and yes, it wouldn't last long here either.... been ages since I had a pineapple upside-down cake... mmm

and waffles with peanut butter and jelly.. never tried that.. I have a box of frozen ones in the freezer. With Jif peanut butter and some smuckers strawberry jam.. yummmy!

I like yogurt too.. either frozen or the other kind. I like to buy plain vanilla refrigerated yogurt.. add some chopped nuts and berries.. and I like doing that on frozen yogurt.. makes me feel less guilty when eating before bed time.

Cookienut.. that's why I don't make a big batch of cookies, etc .. I'm the only one here.. .so, like I stated earlier.. a dangerous commodity to have around.. lol.. I save that kind of stuff for b-day parties, holidays, etc.

Otter 09-07-2004 06:55 AM

I try not to eat after dinner, but if I do get the munchies I typically have either cereal (Honey Bunches of Oats, Grape Nuts, Kellogg's Raisin Bran) or a couple slices of cheese.

middie 09-07-2004 07:45 AM

eck otter you eat them healthy cereals??
live a little eat some cocoa and fruity
pebbles, or countchocula, etc...

Juliev 09-07-2004 07:49 AM

LOL middie.. I like healthy cereals. I love plain shredded wheat with a little brown sugar.. but I still have my Frankenberry cravings!

cafeandy 09-07-2004 05:02 PM

something sweet...last night i had a piece of carrot cake at 11:20 pm.

(i know, i know)

crewsk 09-07-2004 05:53 PM

I had dry roasted peanuts last night. Usually don't eat a lot before going to bed. I try to cut myself off around 8:00.

CookinBlondie 09-07-2004 06:12 PM

I usually have some icecream, jello, yogurt, CHICKEN CRACKRS or something tasty, ya know, whatever we got aroun' da home.

luvs 09-07-2004 06:12 PM

usually a peice of hard candy, or sometimes some bubble gum, makes for a noce nighttime snack for me!

buckytom 09-07-2004 06:36 PM

it depends on what i crave at the moment.

if i crave savory or salty:
cheddar cheese with raw onions and brown mustard on wheat crackers
gouda, chorizo, apples and pear slices with table water crackers
pickled herring and onions in wine sauce
costco trail mix

if i crave sweet: (with a tall cold glass of milk)
cadbury fruit and nut bar
entenmann's brownie crumb ring
ben & jerry's chubby hubby ice cream
oreos, chips ahoy, mallomars, fudge stripes

tweedee 09-07-2004 08:03 PM

Graham crackers with peanut butter and a glass of milk :D

Juliev 09-07-2004 09:18 PM

I can see the hard candy thing.... BUT... I don't know about the pickled herring, Bucky :shock: .. my uncle would love you... I'm half swede..so that side loves that stuff. Graham crackers are a fav of mine too.. so is milk.. just haven't had the combination in awhile.

middie 09-07-2004 11:50 PM

whoa!! chubby hubby is my favorite!!!

Juliev 09-08-2004 06:20 AM

cafeandy.. I love carrot cake.. that's something else I haven't had in awhile.. gee.. I'm missing out on a lot of stuff. My grandma makes something similiar that she calls Swedish Cake with cream cheese frosting.. yummay! Only way I would have that as a snack before bed would be if it was part of a care-package brought back from a holiday or birthday get-together.

LOL middie..short and sweet.. and to the point!

Last night I was boring, only had an apple.

buckytom 09-08-2004 07:42 PM

lol, juliev. ya caught me. i'm half norwegian. guess that's where the herring thing comes from. that and my giant square forehead...

Barbara L 09-08-2004 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juliev
My grandma makes something similiar that she calls Swedish Cake with cream cheese frosting.

Do you have the recipe Juliev? And if you do, would you share? It sounds good. BTW, I am half Swedish too. :)

Juliev 09-08-2004 11:15 PM

Here ya go Barbara. I had to look for my swedish cookbook, thought I lost it.. it was in the back of my other cookbook collection, in the pantry... Phew!

SWEDISH CAKE:
2 cup white sugar
2 whole eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cup flour (self rising)
1/2 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple (undrained)

Mix sugar, eggs, pineapple. Add flour, soda, vanilla, salt, nuts (pour in 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Frost while warm.

FROSTING FOR SWEDISH CAKE:
1 (8 oz) cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp vanilla

Mix softened cream cheese, vanilla, butter, and sugar. Add nuts. Better when sets 1 or 2 days.

SWEDISH APPLE CAKE:
3 eggs
2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup oil
3 1/2 cup apples, diced
1/2 cup nuts, chopped
3 cup flour
2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

FROSTING:
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup milk
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together first 6 ingredients. Add flour, soda, salt and cinnamon. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour in 9 x 13 inch pan.

FROSTING: Cook flour and milk until thick. Set aside to cool. Beat together butter, sugar and vanilla. Add flour mixture and beat until smooth.

Juliev 09-08-2004 11:26 PM

I had a banana popsicle for my snack.. lol

btw Barbara.. my grandma's name is Barbara, and her last name starts with L.... weird.. lol

Bangbang 09-08-2004 11:43 PM

Sloppy Joes

Barbara L 09-09-2004 01:15 AM

Juliev,

Thank you for the recipes. They sound great!

That is interesting about your grandma's name. Barbara comes from the word Barbarian and means "Mysterious stranger from a faraway land." ;)

wasabi 09-09-2004 01:41 AM

Slice of very cold watermelon. A little bit of cottage cheese with crushed pinapple on top.

Juliev 09-10-2004 11:48 PM

I had a popsicle again.. the banana kind.. lol

Bangbang 09-11-2004 01:10 PM

Ice cream

spryte 09-11-2004 04:30 PM

Nerd's Rope =)

Alix 09-11-2004 05:43 PM

Nerd's Rope? What the he-- is that? Is it food?

Barbara L 09-11-2004 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alix
Nerd's Rope? What the he-- is that? Is it food?

It is a new candy. I've never had it, but it looks like Nerds (tiny sour candies) put together to form a rope.

Alix 09-11-2004 06:06 PM

COOL! I want some!

spryte 09-11-2004 08:44 PM

Nerds stuck to a gummy candy rope!!! mmmmmmmmmm

http://pilsner.ia.pitt.edu/~spryte/photos/n1.jpg

I opened one just now to show you... gah... now I'll just have to eat it!!!

http://pilsner.ia.pitt.edu/~spryte/photos/n2.jpg

The sacrifices I make!!
hehehehe

masteraznchefjr 09-11-2004 08:45 PM

i want some now !! lol

spryte 09-11-2004 08:48 PM

not to be bratty... but it really was good! *giggle*

Barbara L 09-11-2004 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spryte
not to be bratty... but it really was good! *giggle*

This is off topic, but you reminded me of something that happened at school the other day. We have a school store where the kids can buy school supplies, and for 15 minutes a day (as an incentive for kids who behave) they can buy candy. Well, I've talked to my kids about this quite a bit. This one boy was really misbehaving, so when he asked if he could go to the school store, I told him no. Then he tried sneaking money to another boy to buy him something, and I put an end to that. Well, on the way back to class (we had been at lunch), he snuck into the school store and bought a pack of Skittles. I know some of you will think I was mean, but since we had gone over this ad nauseum, and he knew the rules (and is old enough to understand), I took the candy, and I ate it right in front of everyone. My mom had a saying, "A lesson bought is a lesson taught." I have a feeling he isn't going to try that again!

masteraznchefjr 09-11-2004 11:09 PM

wut grade do you teache?

MJ 09-11-2004 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masteraznchefjr
wut grade do you teache?

Barbara does 4th grade Language Arts and Social Studies. I hope you don't care if I speak for you Barbara. Please don't beat me again :lol:

linda gayle 09-11-2004 11:21 PM

test

test :D