What type of cooking oil to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allioop108

Assistant Cook
There seems to be a huge selection of cooking oils to choose from, corn oil, peanut oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, etc. So is there a specific oil that I should be using for certain foods, should I have some of each kind. What do I have to gain or lose by using one type over another?

Allen

I use extra virgin olive oil for almost everything but high temperature frying. For high temp frying I use canola. I use Asian peanut oil for stir-frys.

The EVOO provides good flavor but has a low smoke point temperature. The canola has a higher smoke point so is good for high temp frying. The Asian peanut oil has a strong nutty flavor that compliments Asian cooking.

health concerns aside (on which there are varying opinions), the factors you'd want to consider are "smoke point" for deep fat frying, flavor and cost.

for a guide to the the smoke point of various Oils and Fats see http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=42&id=571

Pick an inexpensive neutral oil with a smoke point of about 450F for deep fat frying or stir fried Asian style dishes. I use corn oil. It has the same smoke point of 450 as the more expensive peanut oil (which is also popular for stir-fried dishes).

Olive oil is a popular choice for general cooking and as a base for salad dressings, marinades, etc.

Certain oils are used more as condiments or as a flavoring component in dressings - they're added at the end of cooking for flavor and aroma. A favorite of mine in this class is toasted sesame oil. See recipe below...

Cooked Chopped Sesame Spinach
If you like spinach (or similar neutral greens), after the spinach is cooked press out the water, coarsely chop and return to a wide pan on medium heat. Drizzle with toasted sesame oil and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, mix well, heating through (to bring out the aroma of the sesame oil) and serve.

I prefer to use olive oil when I want an "Italian" flavor, but I use Mazzola Corn oil for things like fish, potatoes, french fried cauliflower etc. I like the taste that corn oil gives to certain foods. Tried frying caulifower in canola oil and it just wasn't the same.:(

I use Bertolli's Extra-Virgin Olive Oil for virtually all my everyday cooking. I buy it by the gallon from CostCo for about $8. It's very fragrant, quality is excellent, & you can't beat the price.

For foods where I don't want the flavor & fragrance of olive oil, I use canola, which has been judged to be one of the "healthier" oils, & for stirfrying I sometimes use peanut oil for it's stability at high temps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom