Rhubarb Jam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
My favorite, hope you enjoy;

Ingredients: 5 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O

Mix rhubarb and sugar in a bowl and allow to sit on the counter overnight. Stir every once in a while. The next morning, boil the mixture for 15 minutes, stir occ.. Remove from the heat. Add Jell-O and mix until it's dissolved. Pour into sterilized jars. Cool and keep in the refrigerator.

JoAnn (or anybody) ... have you ever made it without the jello? I am looking for a recipe using either just the sugar or sure jell ... ideas?
Thank you Thank you!

JMediger said:
JoAnn (or anybody) ... have you ever made it without the jello? I am looking for a recipe using either just the sugar or sure jell ... ideas?
Thank you Thank you!

Sorry, that is the only way I have ever made rhubarb jam. But I do have a lot of rhubarb cookbooks and I will go through them tonight and see if there are any recipes using just sugar or sure jell and I will get back to you. JoAnn

Thank you! I think I'll play with the one using the orange juice ... I'm thinking if I increase the sugar and use water in place of the oj, it might work.
Thank you!

JMediger said:
Thank you! I think I'll play with the one using the orange juice ... I'm thinking if I increase the sugar and use water in place of the oj, it might work.
Thank you!

You might need to be careful in altering jam and jelly recipes very much. They are developed to "jell" and rely on certain chemical interactions with the ingredients to do so. The OJ may add the needed acid, for example, and the ratio of sugar to the volume is very important.

JMediger said:
Thank you Thank you!

Here are some recipes: Recipe Grid

Hope this is what you are looking for. JoAnn

Back
Top Bottom