Storing garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris1967

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I've read a lot about not storing garlic in olive oil because of the possibility of botulism but most of it appears to refer to raw garlic. I've boiled a half pound of cloves in hot oil till they became soft and just lightly browned around the edges, about 30 minutes. Does this run the same risk or can it be safely stored in the fridge for a few months?

Thanks,
Chris

Just bottle in sterile cans. I do it with eshallots and garlic...basically a confit. Stored in its own oil, you should be good to go. Only on a very rare ocassion, have I opened some and seen a film/"mold?". But I am sure that is because of the air that was left in.

I'm not looking to store in a "preserve" type of condition, I just wanted to have cloves available for whenever I'm cooking and want to pluck one or two out of the jar to use for steak, sauce etc. When I buy whole cloves, I never end up using all of them before they start to sprout or dry up. Just wanted to extend their life and make some flavored oil at the same time. I bought a flat of fresh, peeled whole cloves and decided to try this.

Chris

Instead of boiling, "roast"/fry them in oil, just till tender, and then bottle. pack the cloves with just enough oil to cover and can. The left over oil is an ideal infussed medium for all your searing needs and then some. All you have to do for use then is pull what you need, mash/slice/dice accordingly, and use like you would the raw whole clove.

By boiling, you are allowing water to get into the product, allowing spoilage(or souring). By simmering in oil, oil will permeate the pores, and preserve from within.

umm..perhaps you didn't read my post thoroughly..I did boil them in oil :)

Better safe than sorry Chris ... divide it up into convenient size portions and freeze it until ready to use. Only keep it in the refrigerator for about a week.

Although the botulism toxin can be destroyed by boiling, the spores are heat resistant and require much higher heat – such as might be created in a pressure cooker at home – to be completely destroyed.

Roasting doesn't make oil in garlic safe.

Refrigerate and use within 10 days or so, or you risk botulism poisoning. Or freeze.

Your best bet is to acidify if you want to use oil for longer term storage.

Garlic is cheap, the oil you store it in probably costs as much as the garlic itself, just buy it as you need it and that way it will be the freshest.

Or you can get a jar of minced garlic that is already crushed for you. ;)

I must admit, I use it for basically every recipe that calls for crushed garlic. I buy fresh for special occasions, or when a recipe requires sliced cloves.

It may be seen as blasphemy by some, but it's good for everyday!

Back
Top Bottom