Friday Night Special - 6/9: Quack! Quack!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
I love duck.

Crispy Pan Seared Breast of Sonoma Valley Duck
Wild Mushroom and Goat Cheese Risotto, Sauteed Haritcot Verts, Edamame, and Baby Carrots; Tawny Port and Duck Jus Reduction, Blood Orange Gastrique

$36.00

Attachments

• searedduck.jpg
    searedduck.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
E - I - E - I - Oooooooooh my!!! Next to seafood (lobster and shrimp), duck is my fave. That looks delish - & a big portion too. Here's a peek at one of my fave restaurants. (Hope you don't mind me sharing the menu)... always ordered the quack quack with cherry sauce or L'Orange -- but yours has better sides.

http://www.lepetitchateau.org/frenchcuisine.html#

Last edited:
mish said:
E - I - E - I - Oooooooooh my!!! Next to seafood (lobster and shrimp), duck is my fave. That looks delish - & a big portion too. Here's a peek at one of my fave restaurants. (Hope you don't mind me sharing the menu)... always ordered the quack quack with cherry sauce or L'Orange -- but yours has better sides.

http://www.lepetitchateau.org/frenchcuisine.html#

Mish, the prices at that place are pretty affordable too for what it seems like what you get. I used to date this girl who lived close by that restaurant in Glendale. That would've been a nice place to take her had I known about it.

IC:

Kudos for not drowning the fantastic taste of duck in a sauce that masks its extraordinary flavor! Not to mention, you cooked it to perfection!

Andy M. said:
IC:

Kudos for not drowning the fantastic taste of duck in a sauce that masks its extraordinary flavor! Not to mention, you cooked it to perfection!

I actually like to serve the duck just a tad bit more underdone, but for the display plate it wouldn't be too appetizing to have the juice from the duck running all over the plate.

this duck looks tasty,and the vegetables looks good.i didn't like duck before,it has a special strange smell.But i change my mind after i ate some kind of duck dishes. they are very well.only after being appropriate ways cooked they are good.

ironchef said:
Mish, the prices at that place are pretty affordable too for what it seems like what you get. I used to date this girl who lived close by that restaurant in Glendale. That would've been a nice place to take her had I known about it.

It was a nice place - cozy, romantic & reasonably priced too (last time I was there). It's actually on the border of No Ho (not a great area) and Toluca Lake -- off the beaten studio path. Think only the locals & studio folks know about its existance. A few clandestine lunchtime-trysts have taken place there, but my lips are sealed :angel:

If you're in that area, another fave restaurant was Piero's near NBC. Don't know if they're still around, but great monkfish & seafood/pasta dishes.

A place I liked in Glendale (for an inexpensive steak) was Damon's. Not fancy or gourmet -- pretty much just steak, baked tator and a big salad to share. They rush you outta there - kind of like cattle.

The Smoke House was another I frequented (near the studio), reasonably priced, continental cuisine - great prime rib and The Best garlic cheese bread. Heard their brunch was pretty good too.

http://www.smokehouse1946.com/Home.html

At one point we counted up about 30 restaurants, then stopped counting, lol -- all good and reasonable in the area. No wonder I hardly cooked or had the time, back when.

When I can, want to go to Chinatown to the places where the ducks are hanging in the window. I know that will be a treat.

Last edited:
mish said:
It was a nice place - cozy, romantic & reasonably priced too (last time I was there). It's actually on the border of No Ho (not a great area) and Toluca Lake -- off the beaten studio path. Think only the locals & studio folks know about its existance. A few clandestine lunchtime-trysts have taken place there, but my lips are sealed :angel:

If you're in that area, another fave restaurant was Piero's near NBC. Don't know if they're still around, but great monkfish & seafood/pasta dishes.

A place I liked in Glendale (for an inexpensive steak) was Damon's. Not fancy or gourmet -- pretty much just steak, baked tator and a big salad to share. They rush you outta there - kind of like cattle.

The Smoke House was another I frequented (near the studio), reasonably priced, continental cuisine - great prime rib and The Best garlic cheese bread. Heard their brunch was pretty good too.

http://www.smokehouse1946.com/Home.html

At one point we counted up about 30 restaurants, then stopped counting, lol -- all good and reasonable in the area. No wonder I hardly cooked or had the time, back when.

When I can, want to go to Chinatown to the places where the ducks are hanging in the window. I know that will be a treat.

That's the great thing about L.A. is that there are so many good restaurants. But that's pretty much true with any large city in the U.S.

It's funny that you mention Toluca Lake because that always reminds me of "Pulp Fiction". I actually ate at that coffee shop on Hawthorne before it closed down.

I really love duck (& goose for that matter), but have never been able to warm up to it rare, or even medium rare, for that matter.

What I do these days is roast my ducks on my rotisserie. I usually do some type of nice dry spice rub on the outside before putting it in. Always end up with a nicely done bird that has juicy - yet not greasy - meat & that wonderful crispy skin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom