Fat-free or Low-fat Bolognese Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
Does anyone know how to make this sause without the added calories of heavy cream. Technically, aka Ragu`alla Bolognese.

It's a form of meat sauce for spaghetti. But to lighten it a little bit, it calls for heavy cream. I was wondering if something like low-fat yogurt of low-fat sour crean can be used in place of the heavy cream.

I got a recipe for it, but when I discovered that I now have diabetes, I was wondering if I could get away with using a fat-free or low-fat alternative to the cream - which I'm trying to avoid the extra calories.

The recipe calls for only 2 tablespoons of heavy cream though. Should I be concerned about that? Seems like only a little bit.

Your thoughts, please.

~Corey123.

I've seen Biba Gaggiano make this sauce on an old cooking show. She suggested you could skip the cream if you prefer. That may be a better alternative than an artificial cream substitute.

Well, I found out that it only requires little cream, so I may do it with heavy cream anyway. The sauce turns a slight pinkish color when it's used.

It is added near the end of the sauce's cooking time so that it doesn't cause the sauce to "break" (curdle from too much cooking).

That would probably be the only time I consume any fat. I'm going to use lean ground beef or ground chicken for the meat when I do it. But then I'm stuck with the rest (cream) and won't know how to get rid of it.

And spaghetti squash in place of the pasta.

And come to think of it, I think I saw Giada Delarentes make that same sauce on her show Everday Italian!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
you could use half and half, it's still calories and fat, but less, and still very creamy tasting.

creamers and yougurt do not cook, they separate and curdle..no no

if you leave it out, sub in some more tomato sauce or broth.

the amount of trouble from 2 tblspn in a pot of sauce is minor over the number of servings.

I thought about that, and you're right!

Half and half would suffice, and the small amount WOULD BE insignificant in terms of the small amount of fat introduced.

~Corey123.

I'm going to make this today. But instead of using ground beef, I'll use ground chicken which is healthier and is more fat free.

I'll walk over to the market again for some cream in an effort to lose some weight.

~Corey123.

Corey, I don't recall seeing on any of Italian cooking sites a recipe for ragu alla Bolognese that calls for cream. I surely never use it. There are numerous variations, as many as the number of households in Emilia Romana, but basically they are more or less like this . (There are many recipes that uses white wine instead of red, some recipe calls for butter...) In general, there is much less tomatoes/tomato sauce(puree) involved than it is believed abroad, and much more meaty.

If you would like to cut down on the excess calories, choose the leanest possible meat, precook them alone before you add to other ingredients, and press down really hard through the sieve to get rid of the fat.

I've eaten it numerous times at an Italian restaurant in Waltham. And it IS light in color. But it's mainly the starch that's in the noodles that I must cut down on - hence the spaghetti squash that will replace the noodles.

I plan to use ground chicken for it. That is the most healthy alternative over ground beef.

~Corey123.

I have used light cream before, but if it is just 2 tablespoons and I would not worry too much.

Which restaurants in Waltham do you like? There are so many to pick from. I have not been to Moody St. for a while. I bet there are a number of new places I should try.

IMO gorund turkey tastes better than chicken, but that's just me.

Il Capricio in Waltham is wonderful, but i love Tuscan Grille.

I've never put cream of any type in a Bolognese sauce (but then I don't put carrots in either!)

No, I don't use cream at all either.

I did not used to put carrots in, but I use very finley chopped carrots and celery in a lot of things I never used to. I did it when I was a nanny to get veg into kids and now find I am doing it a gain to get veg into my husband! LOL. He loves veg, but would rather eat pasta. I now find I prefer it with the addition of the carrot and celery, which gives an (almost) unnoticable sweetness from carrot and depth from the celery.

Cream (or milk) is a definitive ingredient in Bolognese sauce.

Bolognese; alla Bolognese
[boh-luh-NEEZ, ah-lah boh-luhn-YAYZ, It. , baw-law-NYEH-seh]
Named after the rich cookery style of Bologna, Italy, Bolognese refers to dishes served with a thick, full-bodied meat and vegetable sauce enhanced with wine and milk or cream. The term alla Bolognese (in French, à la Bolognese ) on a menu designates a pasta or other dish sauced in this manner. The Italian term for this sauce is ragu Bolognese , or often simply ragu .

Must be a British interpretation, Jenny. I have NEVER added milk products to a tomato base, unless it's to a tomato soup!

GB said:
I have used light cream before, but if it is just 2 tablespoons and I would not worry too much.

Which restaurants in Waltham do you like? There are so many to pick from. I have not been to Moody St. for a while. I bet there are a number of new places I should try.

Franca's near the commuter rail. They have excellent pizza, and Italian dishes! I go there to meet up with friends at least once or twice a week.

In fact, I was just there Sunday evening! I had a healthy meal though, which consisted of grilled chicken with salad.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
Franca's near the commuter rail. They have excellent pizza, and Italian dishes! I go there to meet up with friends at least once or twice a week.

In fact, I was just there Sunday evening! I had a healthy meal though, which consisted of grilled chicken with salad.

~Corey123.

Franca's makes really good pizza. Wood-fired brick oven baked as I remember. One of my favorite spots is Domenic's on Main Street. It's a Bakery/Deli that makes some really great sandwiches.

Oh, so then you've ALREADY BEEN to Franca's. Yeah, I forgot to mention that it's brick-oven-baked.

I may try Domenic's one day. I'm making the Bolognese now, as we speak.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
Oh, so then you've ALREADY BEEN to Franca's. Yeah, I forgot to mention that it's brick-oven-baked.

I may try Domenic's one day. I'm making the Bolognese now, as we speak.

~Corey123.

Let us know how it turns out!

Going good so far!

The sauce is just about where I want it. It's reducing down and thickening up. I'll soon be adding the cream into it.

~Corey123.

Since you are using so little, what would you do with the rest of it if you are trying to cut fat and calories?

Back
Top Bottom