Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
You all know how much I love my dogs! Well, since it is getting hot and I mean really hot they rather stay outside and lay on the cool ground. I wake up regularly just to see if they are still around. This been going on now some time and worried about telling someone that I let them sleep outside. My niece is upset because she tells me I don't know what could happen. She is mad about it. I can't sleep out there with them. Do you think coyotes or something could get them? I have 4 foot fence. They are really in bad shape because of diabetes. One drags his back legs and other one is blind. Other dog sleeps inside and is deaf. They are otherwise happy and eat regularly and show feeling when I feed them or come home. They don't seem in pain otherwise I sure wouldn't allow them to suffer. When I ask the doctor he seems to feel I am asking question not important. With teh other problems guess he figures I should worry? He said to let them do what they want but if I can't sleep? What would you do? Don't answer if you think I am over reacting. It is my decision because no one else wants to make it.

If your yard is fenced and they have access to shade and water I am sure they will be fine ITK.

On another note, are your dogs on insulin? Our cat is diabetic and once we got her sugars stable her neuropathy (legs dragging) went away. I'm not familiar with how they treat diabetes in dogs though. Just wondering what you did for your dogs.

Thanks Alix

As always, you are one of them that understands. Thanks. So sorry to hear you have cat w/diabetes. How many times do you have to give her injections? I have to give two of them injections twice a day and always same time. Has been going on long time and first one got it then her sister got it. So they aren't at the same level of insulin. The one that drags her feet got it later and when I asked t he vet about it, he had hopes would go away. Just like yours did. Been almost four five months and it breaks my heart to see her trying to get someplace and having such hard t ime. I am thankful you have seen change in your cat. Does make a world of difference. Also the dog has no control over her potty movements. One loses urine the other well you know what the other is. I know they feel so durn bad about it cause of the way they were trained. They surely can't help it so I just accept it and move on. I think some of the staying outside where they don't have to worry about that is partly the reason they stay out there. The vet tells me I will know when it is time. He said others don't even give their pets a chance and put them down. It is a life and if person has conscience they will make decision that is best for both of them. It doesn't put one in best moods sometimes. If I had child w/this would be much much worse. Real heartache.

Alix, you must be blessed to have your kitten get better. Happy for both of you. I guess I'll let them continue to stay out there. If it makes them happy.

How sad, poor doggies. I thank goodness everyday that my two pooches are **so far** healthy and doing well.

I have no idea where you live, but make SURE you have shelter for all of them. This is not only for their protection, but yours as well. There could easily be laws about adequate shelter.

Food and water..water is a must 24 x 7.

My dogs are inside dogs but love to go outside. We don't allow them outside when we are not home because we live on a busy intersection and even though our yard is fenced in, "where there is a will, there is a way"!

You know your dogs. If they are happy, have good shelter, plenty of food and water, proper care, then they should be fine.

My sister has two outside ONLY black labs. She is allergic to dogs so they don't come inside. I don't understand why they even have dogs when they pay no attention to them.

Isn't amazing how much joy they bring! Good luck to you and I hope their health improves!

Hey ITK, don't give up hope on the legs recovering. It took our girl probably around 6 months or longer. She gets a shot twice a day, and we give her special food too. Danged expensive, but clearly worth it as she is doing very very well. She has been diabetic now for about 5 years and is actually better than she was at the beginning. We started at 5 units twice a day and are now down to 2 units twice a day and it may need to be lower than that! Cats are the only animal that can recover from being diabetic isn't that cool? Apparently if they have the type of diabetes where they have just stopped absorbing the insulin they can suddenly begin to do that again. (I hope I have that right!)

How old are your dogs? How long have they been diabetic? I know how much you love them, so just let them be where they want to be. You can make it a nice safe place for them and they will be happy.

Thinking back to my childhood when I had a dog, in the summer he loved to be outside. He usually found a nice area of shade and dug a hole to curl up in, fairly close to food and water. If he was inside, it was always on the hard wood floor, or linolium (sp?) if the hard wood was unaccessible for some reason.

Rest in peace, Jake. You were a good dog.

(it's sbeen some time, but I still think about him from time to time and reminise {sp?}).

i wanted to have a pet dog but my brother has an asthma before that's why we arfe not allowed to have one...

I just want you to know that I understand how you love your dogs. My mother has only one dog left, but she used to breed Irish Wolfhounds. Her old girl also has dodgy back legs due to a spinal condition, and broke a front leg in a rabbit hole last year, but she is still full of life and so loved. My mother's pets were always considered my siblings. I have two cats who are my babies, and we want to get a dog when we live somewhere suitable. I also have two old ponies who are on loan to some children but who I won't sell because they are difficult and I want to make sure they always live with people who are patient with them, and I have my old mare who won a lot with me and taught me a lot, I cannot take care of her now, so she too is on loan to a great family where she gets lightly worked and heavily loved.

I can't imagine a life without my "fur babies". My cats have just gone on their holiday to my mother's house in the country. They aren't allowed out here in the City so I let them go wild for a bit in the countryside. :)

I agree, as long as you have them fenced in they should be fine and if they are more happy outside then so be it. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats and going out side here is shift work. One dog is huge the other very small. I'm afraid the big dog will hurt the sm one as he is only 1 year old and very playful. One wrong move could break the others back or leg. The large dog is always out in his Kennel but I let him out several times aday to run around. Then I lock him up and let the sm one out to run. I have to watch for eagles here too because one could take the sm dog.Then both dogs done running, cats turn and this goes on several times aday. Sounds like you take great care of your pets. Your making them happy for sure. Also not sure where you live but just make sure they are safe in their fenced area at night.

Joy

These comments bring me such joy, you can't believe it. To read all the love that is expresssed here tells me what truly great people you are. When you can show love to something that is considered less important than a human being to me it tells me you can trust that person. Showing love like this to dogs or cats (almost same) is like receiving lottery. Worth more to me than million dollars. Guess I could take care of plenty animals for that amount but would they get the attention you give them? AT this time people are so self centered or seem to be that we need to focus on life t hat is dependent. I can't really comment about ponies but they must have their place as the therapy they are doing w/blind children. It just seems animals have silent communication w/people. As Cesar Milan (Dog Whisperer says) they can 'feel' your energy. I would trust him too.

Alix, my one dog has diabetes for more than six years. Up to 34 units each time. Other one drags legs, has for two years. They are sisters. She gets 19 units day. I even asked the vet if I could reuse the needles. NO! I go through insulin and needles so fast . As you stated expensive too. It is good thing we are all fairly healthy. (KNOCK ON WOOD) You give me encouragement knowing how your cat is doing. You have your commitment too if you give the shots. I never ever thought I could do this. Never. I still don't like it. Do what you got to do.

Once you have the love of an animal, I don't know how someone could ever neglect it or abuse it. I only hope and pray that if they do mistreat them it will come back to them and quick.

They are all inside now waiting to get their attention. Probably know I am writing about them. Must be the heat that I think this way.

I don't have pets, but love some of my friends' pets. One had a doggy door, so she (Mikko), could come and go when she wanted - and a doghouse outside with water. The dog's house was so nice, I wouldn't mind sleeping in there in the summer :LOL: j/k. (When we went to our fave bbq place, she would bring the bones home for Mikko. If dogs had facial muscles, I'm sure she'd be smiling.)

Another friend was up and down all night, opening the glass sliding door to let the dog in and out. It kept me up all night as well, but didn't want to say anything for fear of hurting his feelings. Didn't mind the view of watching him (dressed only in a T-shirt) 50 times a night to let the dog out. :LOL: Guess pets are smart, and will let you know when they want to come and go.

In my old house I had a little door in the kitchen that said "Milk" on it. (Maybe years ago milkmen would deliver milk thru the little door.) Anyhew, all the neighbors left their milk doors open (we all loved my neighbor's cat (Phyllis, the cat, lol). She could come in, eat and leave when she wanted. If the milk door was closed, she'd swing from my screen door with her paws or open the mail slot with her paws when she wanted to come in. At first I thought I had a burglar when I heard that clanking sound, ha. Very smart cat.

I'm sort of reminiscing about my friends pets that I loved & miss, so I can understand your concern. Sorry your pets are ill. I'm sure they give you lots of pleasure & vice versa. Hope I brought a smile. :)

Last edited:
mish

You know you did! What a precious picture. Is that over you mantle? Would be on mine. That is what MasterCard would call 'priceless'. He does look like he is smiling. Whose dog was t hat ? You sure have your share of memories for not owning one cat or dog. I am so thankful you like them too. I know they can tell. When I pass someone w/dog, I talk more to the animal in my mind t han to the person. Seems they always turn around when I pass. As long as they are taken care of makes me thankful. They all know how to make difference in our lives. thanks mish, you are such important friend to me. You always make me laugh. I need that once in a while. Take good care of yourself.

Sorry

Eagles, of all things they could pick up the little one. What about your cats? I never heard of eagles doing this. I know we have hawks t hat fly around here looking for rabbits. thumpershere you have you duty to handle all the activity you do. But don't you think they are worth it? I couldn't imagine life w/o them. I feel giving up for the dogs. I just can't afford insurance for myself much less the dogs. Remember one dog had to put constant drops in the eye because no tears. I couldn't afford operation to correct. Would use salvia gland to moiston her eye. Only t rouble every time she got hungry her eye would water. That dog lived for 10 years w/dry eye. One vet wanted me to put her down to. Couldn't do it. She had heart attack in our yard. She was t iny thing too and only one in the house who paid attention to my husband at the time. She could overlook his faults. Sorry I get started and cannot quit. Just keep watching your dogs i don't want to hear any bad news. I am sure you don't either. They sure need care that is for sure.I do appreciate your efforts. Sure worth it.

sweetnectar

sweetnectar said:
i wanted to have a pet dog but my brother has an asthma before that's why we arfe not allowed to have one...

I have felt that way too. Have to give up something for someone. That is life. I feel sure that the time will come when he will get better and strong and won't be affected. We all have to accept disappointments. I sure would like to have a brother around to grow up with. You don't have to feed him or give him water, I am sure someone takes care of that. I have brothers and each one is different and requires understanding. There are other pets that are available that you could love. You like birds? i had hamsters at one time. But they all need attention. Can't let day go by without knowing they are fed. I am sure your brother would enjoy a dog too.

mish said:
I don't have pets, but love some of my friends' pets. One had a doggy door, so she (Mikko), could come and go when she wanted - and a doghouse outside with water. The dog's house was so nice, I wouldn't mind sleeping in there in the summer :LOL: j/k. (When we went to our fave bbq place, she would bring the bones home for Mikko. If dogs had facial muscles, I'm sure she'd be smiling.)

Another friend was up and down all night, opening the glass sliding door to let the dog in and out. It kept me up all night as well, but didn't want to say anything for fear of hurting his feelings. Didn't mind the view of watching him (dressed only in a T-shirt) 50 times a night to let the dog out. :LOL: Guess pets are smart, and will let you know when they want to come and go.

In my old house I had a little door in the kitchen that said "Milk" on it. (Maybe years ago milkmen would deliver milk thru the little door.) Anyhew, all the neighbors left their milk doors open (we all loved my neighbor's cat (Phyllis, the cat, lol). She could come in, eat and leave when she wanted. If the milk door was closed, she'd swing from my screen door with her paws or open the mail slot with her paws when she wanted to come in. At first I thought I had a burglar when I heard that clanking sound, ha. Very smart cat.

I'm sort of reminiscing about my friends pets that I loved & miss, so I can understand your concern. Sorry your pets are ill. I'm sure they give you lots of pleasure & vice versa. Hope I brought a smile. :)

HEY! That's a Shiba Inu! That's what breed my dogs are! COOL!

Insulin

Alix said:
If your yard is fenced and they have access to shade and water I am sure they will be fine ITK.

On another note, are your dogs on insulin? Our cat is diabetic and once we got her sugars stable her neuropathy (legs dragging) went away. I'm not familiar with how they treat diabetes in dogs though. Just wondering what you did for your dogs.

Whenever I notice them drinking more water than usual (what's usual in this heat?) I have to take them for insulin check. The one dog who drags her legs really bothers me. How long did you cat drag her legs? This dog has had the bad legs since Novemebr but diabetes almost 2 years. Do you think I have hope? She doesn't act like it bothers her only slows her down when she wants to go after birds. Now small one needs stairs to get in and out of garage door. Something wrong w/her legs or back? All I can do is accommodate them as best I know how. Maybe wrong but I am thankful you can relate to what I have going on here. I have heard someone tell me they had a cat for 20 years. That is unbelievable. How old did you say your cat was? Do you remember how long her legs were that way? My friends seem to be not interested in the problems w/my dogs. Mostly talk about men. They get diabetes too. Maybe they would forget about them too.

Leg dragging

Hmmm...her sugars were pretty high for a while there and thats what gets the legs going (according to the vet). I would say she dragged for about 6-8 months after we got her sugars under control.

ITK, if you are having trouble with getting your dogs sugars controlled it might be worthwhile talking to your vet and getting one of those testing units. The last time I took our cat to the vet to have her sugars tested, all they did was prick her ear with a testing unit they would use on a human. Those are a bit pricy, but then you could at least give the correct amount of insulin for that day. I wonder if your dogs sugars are still a bit out of whack? Just a thought. I don't know how my information on cats would translate over to dogs. I know that I am going to talk to our vet about getting one of those glucose meters for the cat. I'd love it if I only had to give her a shot once a day.

As for how long we have had our cat. Well this one we have had for 14 years. She's been diabetic about 5 years now. I have owned cats that lived to be 20 though. Siamese in particular seemed to be long lived in our family. My sister has one who is currently 21 and going strong.

Alix said:
. Siamese in particular seemed to be long lived in our family. My sister has one who is currently 21 and going strong.

Hey, my two girls, Panache and Nougat, are Siamese too! Panache is chocolate point and Nougat, her litter sister is bluepoint. I am getting a lilac point queen next year from the breeder who owns last years American Siamese Cat Champion (can't rememebr exact title.) She lives in Scotland, so I am going to go up and get my kitten. We are going to get a fourth cat at the same time, but we cannot decide whether to get a fourth Siamese or a blainese or and oriental. I was brought up with Siamese, they traveklled the world with us. My childhood Siamese and I were only separated when she was in quarantine, and then when I went to university she died :( but she was over 18 then. It gives me real encouragment to know you know a healthy 21 year old! My girls are generally healthy, but panache has very bad allergies to grain. It is very hard to get decent quality cat food in UK. I have a US food imported via Germany, but it is expensive and not really ideal...a lot of the tins reach me dented and spoiled.

Alix

Ever since I complained about their sleeping habits now the insulin is starting to give me trouble. The one who gets the most insulin is having some leakage again. It is so sticky and I have to clean the kitchen floor so often until I get her insulin adjusted. I will ask the vet about how he feels me investing in personal testing at home. I feel he wants to help them but it really adds up. He draws large vile of blood from their legs and then runs through some machine. Usually take around 20 minutes for each test. Just pricking an ear seems so easy. I am going to question him about that too. Sure strange how they have same problems people do. My brother has roommate who has diabetes and the floor gets so sticky in bathroom. I appreciate your comments Alix because of the experience you have. Anyone who would see these dogs would feel sorry for them. They surely are limited. It is amazing that the cats live so long. The stories they could tell.

ITK, 20 minutes seems like a long time to me, but as I said, I am not clear on how things are different with dogs and cats. I sure hope you get their levels adjusted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom