ISO Tasty Shortcake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie

Senior Cook
I have a bunch of strawberries.. and want to make strawberry shortcake..but every recipe I ever had.. it was really not very tasty... anybody have a tasty shortcake recipe?.. would be great if it was just a recipe for 2 people.. but if not I can cut down.. :chef: thank you!

Last edited:
Here in Missouri, some of us make shortcake with pie crust instead of biscuits or sponge cake.

Use your favorite pie crust recipe. The last time I made shortcake, I used half Crisco and half butter. I cut the Crisco into the flour til it was very fine, then I grated the butter into that mix, using the grater with the big holes. Forgot to mention I froze the butter hard before trying to grate it.:glare: Stir gently together, with just enough water to make it stick.

Rolled it out, sprinkled it with Demarara sugar, cut it into pretty shapes (stars and moons this time). Flakiest pie crust I ever made, and the sugar added a very nice crunch.

Pie crust on the bottom, berries and whipped cream in the middle, and a pretty piece of crust on top.

No shortcake recipe...but here's our pound cake recipe that we use under berries...

POUND CAKE

CREAM TOGETHER:
1 CUP (2 STICKS) BUTTER OR MARGARINE
1/2 CUP SHORTENING
3 CUPS SUGAR

ADD:
5 EGGS BEATING WELL

ADD:
1 CUP MILK
2 TABLESPOONS VANILLA

ADD
3 CUPS FLOUR
1 TEASPOON SALT

BAKE AT 325' FOR ABOUT 40 MINUTES.
Sorry about the caps...it was a copy and paste.

I always use my biscuit recipe for shortcake except I add 1/4 C sugar to dry ingred. You can make a batch of biscuits and freeze those you do not use. A nice dollop of whipped cream on top! Personaly I do not like cake for the shortcake.

Hmmm never thought about using pound cake.. or adding sugar to biscuit recipe.. thank you for the ideas :)
does that just make one cake? do you put it in a loaf pan?

I never thought about using pound cake in place of shortcake. I've got a great recipe that allows me to use different flavorings to make a variety of flavored pound cakes. Whenever I make pound cake, I put it into mini loaf pans. Since it's just my sister & I, it's easier to eat up the mini loaves. I freeze my mini loaves for eating later on.

Darlene

darlenemt08 said:
I I've got a great recipe that allows me to use different flavorings to make a variety of flavored pound cakes. Whenever I make pound cake, I put it into mini loaf pans. Since it's just my sister & I, it's easier to eat up the mini loaves. I freeze my mini loaves for eating later on.

Darlene

would you share that recipe?? sounds good! :chef:

Strawberry Shortcake Recipe

Strawberry Shortcake - serves 6

1 lb strawberries, hulled and halved or quartered depending on the size
3 tbsp icing sugar
8 fl oz whipping cream
mint leaves for garnishing

For the shortcake
8 oz plain flour
3 oz caster sugar
!tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 fl oz whipping cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a baking tray.

For the shortcake, sift the flour, caster sugar, baking powder and salt together. Gradually add the cream, tossing lightly with a fork until the mixture forms clumps. Gather the clumps together, but DO NOT KNEAD the dough. Shape it into a 6 inch log. Cut 6 slices and place them on the baking tray. Sprinkle the remaining 1 ounce sugar on it. Bake until light golden brown, about 15 mins. Let cool on a wire rack.

Combine a quarter of the strawberries with the icing sugar. Mash it with a fork. Stir in the remaining strawberries. Let it stand for an hour at room temperature.

In a bowl whip the cream until soft peaks form.

to serve, slice each shortcake in half horizontally, using a serrated knife. Put the bottom halves on individual plates. Top each half with whipped cream. Divide the strawberries among the 6 shortcakes. Replace the tops and garnish with mint.

Since you want to make it for 2 people, you could freeze the remaining dough for later.

Back
Top Bottom