Jam setting problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tasha3

Assistant Cook
I am a new member and would like to get help on where I went wrong with my jam making. As it was my first time I did not recognise the "setting" time so my jam did not set - can anyone tell me where I went wrong? I would like advice please. Thank you!

It's easy to know when your jam is set. While the mixture is cooking, refrigerate a small plate. Then, near the end of cooking time, put a small amount of the mixture onto the plate (say, half a teaspoonful - I always put the sample on the edge of the plate, the coolest part). It will cool quickly, and if you can push it around with your finger, and it wrinkles, then your jam is set. If it's a bit runny still, cook a little longer. Things can happen quite quickly near the end of cooking time, so do the test every minute or so, making sure the plate stays cold.

Alternatively, and only if you're brave, give the jam a quick stir, lift out the spoon and wait until it cools a bit. Then run your finger along the spoon. The small amount you take off onto your finger will cool very quickly, and you can tell from its consistency whether the jam is set or not. I've been known to burn said finger more than once using this method, so be careful - a wooden spoon will get less hot than a metal spoon! You will notice, too, that the spoon will stay coated much longer when the jam is ready.

If the wretched stuff just WON'T set, add a squeeze or two of lemon juice and cook a little longer. I've never known this to fail, and I've never used commercial pectin.

BTW, most jams require a really full rolling boil when cooking. None of this wimpy simmering thing! You need to watch your jams - things can happen quite quickly. Like burning on the bottom of the saucepan. Use common sense and experience to judge how high your heat is.

Hi Tasha - welcome to DiscussCooking!

The USDA has a very good website, the National Center for Home Food Preservation, which has a very good section on Making Jams and Jellies. The information Daisy was giving you is covered on the page, Testing Jelly without Added Pectin - and has pictures showing how the jam should sheet off a spoon (without burning your finger).

I use a triple test method. (1) I use a candy thermometer to keep tabs on my temp progress. Once it reached the target temp (8-9 degrees F above the boiling point of water) - then I (2) use the spoon - I've learned that just getting up to temp doesn't always do it ... sometimes it needs to be cooked a little while longer before it will gel. And, finally when it reaches the sheet stage off the spoon (3) the plate test - I put a small salad plate in the freezer when I start cooking ... and then drop a little jam on it and put it back in the freezer for about a minute or two ... if it gels on the plate I know I'm ready to proceed.

If I'm up to temp and it doesn't want to sheet - I cook a few minutes more. If it still doesn't want to sheet or gel on the plate .... I know I need to add a little more acid, like Daisy said.

Of course - this depends on using a proven recipe and following it exactly without making changes or substitutions like using sugar substitues for sugar, etc.

Last edited:
It would help if Tasha3 told us what kind of jam she made and whether she used pectin or boiled down method. Some fruit like cheeries and blueberries will not jell without pectin. I use the boiled down method except for those. If you used pectin, you can bring to a boil and add more pectin to force setting. Look up the exact amts to be sure of it setting.

Welcome to this site, Tasha3! As you can see, the people here really know their stuff. Hey, I sure hope you didn't throw out your jam. If it doesn't set, just put it in containers and freeze it. (You can use it as a topping for pancakes, waffles, biscuits, ice cream, etc.) At least you won't waste it as well as your time and efforts. I used to make jelly and jam, but now I freeze most of my fruit. I don't like the long cooking process and especially the use of too much sugar. Good Luck! Keep on Jamming!?

Last edited:
Swann said:
It would help if Tasha3 told us what kind of jam she made and whether she used pectin or boiled down method. Some fruit like cheeries and blueberries will not jell without pectin. I use the boiled down method except for those. If you used pectin, you can bring to a boil and add more pectin to force setting. Look up the exact amts to be sure of it setting.

This was my exact first thought too Swann.

1. What are you making Jam out of?
2. How much acid does it have in it? (you may need to be adding lemon juice)
3. Are you using Pectin?
4. Natural Pectin or Modified (such as Sure Jell)?
5. How are you sealing them?
  • Boiling Water Bath (BWB) Canner?
  • Hot Pack? (Filling jars and turning upside down on counter)
  • Wax Seal?
~ Raven ~

Jam/jellies setting

I ran into this problem the other night making blackberrry jam, I was in the
process of teaching this young friend of my son how to make jams/jellies.
In the comotion of cooking it we did`nt cook it long enough and it did`nt
set. So the next day I poured it back into the pot. and recooked. I use the MCP pectin and it calls for cooking it 4 minutes for jams and 2 minutes for
jellies after you have added the sugar and it comes to a rolling boil. I use
the hot pack system. and they all came out set and ready to go the next
morning.

I had that same problem when I made jam in my bread machine.

I don't think I used enough pectin in it though.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
I had that same problem when I made jam in my bread machine. I don't think I used enough pectin in it though.

Did you follow the recipe exactly? Was the recipe designed for your brand/model of bread machine?

Liquid and powdered pectins are not readily interchangeable. They are used differently, at different times in the cooking process, and have different processing requirements.

I actually had a reason for asking, Corey - my Aunt tried this with miserable results. One problem was that the recipe wasn't designed for her particular bread machine - and the other was that she was not using the pectin called for in the recipe. After we got that worked out ... it still failed because either she, or the recipe, didn't take into account the variability of natural pectin in the fruit (slightly under-ripe vs fully ripe). One time it came out like a really thick syrup - another time it was like a rock - and the 3rd time it came out just right - but didn't a couple of times after that.

I KNOW her Mama didn't teach her to make jam that way!

Her mama probably didn't have the bread machine either.

My mom used to make jellies and jams the tradirional way, which required being in the kitchen all day! That was way too time-consuming!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
Her mama probably didn't have the bread machine either.

My mom used to make jellies and jams the tradirional way, which required being in the kitchen all day! That was wat too time-consuming!

Yep - and Grandma never had a failed batch of jam, either!

Sometimes, regardless of how many gadgets and gizmos you have in your kitchen - the key ingredient to success is time, attention, and a little love for what you are doing.

If you want no muss, no fuss jam ... there is always a jar of Smuckers on the grocery store shelves.

Last edited:
What requires you to be in the kitchen all day to make jam or jelly. You boil your berries to get juice or you puree your fruit in blender to make jam. You either add sugar and boil to the jel state (maybe 10 minutes) or you add pectin bring it to a boil for a minute, and put in jars. Put on lids, invert and you are done. There is no need to use a water bath for jams and jellies for home consumption. The high heat and high sugar concentration are preservatives.
Making in a bread machine is a "gimmick" in my opinion. It would have to take longer and how I would ever pour out of my (ex) bread machine I would not have any idea.

Making a batch of jam or jellies over years has averaged about 30 minutes
from start to finish. this ladies mom might be making more the one batch. I know that was the case with my mother she never made just one batch. i use the hot pack system and it works great for me.

jam not gelling

First time participant! I'm trying to make Blueberry Jam and it's not "jamming"! I've followed the "Ball" recipe adding 9 cups of crushed berries to 6 cups of sugar. It's been boiling for abou 15 minutes which seems to be long enough but it's not thickening. I even had lemon juice as another site recommended with no difference. Can I call it quits for the night and add sure gel tomorrow?

Louise C said:
First time participant! I'm trying to make Blueberry Jam and it's not "jamming"! I've followed the "Ball" recipe adding 9 cups of crushed berries to 6 cups of sugar. It's been boiling for abou 15 minutes which seems to be long enough but it's not thickening. I even had lemon juice as another site recommended with no difference. Can I call it quits for the night and add sure gel tomorrow?

I've just prepared 8 different jams for a client. 750 gms of mixed fruit,or strawberry, or blackberry. I blended the fresh fruit first ( the client wanted "smooth" jam) and then added sugar in about the same proportions as your recipe. I brought the liquid to a boil then boiled for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, because if you burn them, you get a nasty smoky flavour!
I then let the jams cool for 20 minutes, added 2.5 tsps of powdered pectin ( liquid isn't available here), mixed it in, brought back to the boil, boiled for 2 minutes, turned off, bottled immediately and water bath for 15 minutes.
When I tried the samples this morning, they were perfect. Only the last lot (which had an outrageous amount of water added, so I upped the pectin to 4 tsps) was a little more liquid.

Remember, too, that jam is always firmer the following day.
Try the saucer test; if it barely runs, like lava flow, it's fine!

Louise C said:

A timing for jelling is not realistic. It has to cook until it is done. It depends on the amount of pectin present. It will "jell" when it is the right time. You need to keep cooking it until it does. You can probably begin again tomorrow. I don't think you can now add Sure Jell
cook your mixture until when you put a spoon into the mixture and tip it back, the fruit on the spoon DOESN't come off in driplets but instead begins to gather on the edge of the spoon and come off in a "sheet"--the driplets come together. At that point you can put it in jars. It may take an entire day to entirely "set" to form jelly/jam.

Louise C said:

Like Gretchen said - the "time" given in a recipe is only an estimate of the general minimum of how long it might take to cook. The only way to know if it is done is by (1) Temp, as a first indicator that you're getting close and (2) checking to make sure it sheets off a spoon (I also do the freezer plate thing when I think I'm gellin' to double check). This is all explained in your Ball book.

I once didn't cook my marmalade long enough (and my son did the same thing) - we added pectin and wound up with rocks of stuff in the jars that would beak a knife ....

Ok - back to your problem ... it doesn't sound like to tried to can it - it just didn't thick and you stuck the whole pot in the refrigerator overnight? If so ... carefully reheat it and cook to the jelling stage it one option ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom