Goodweed's Summer Strawberry Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Created this one for a Church gathering last weekend. It came out very good. I didn't make everything from scratch, but adapted some ready made ingredients to make this cool and yummy.

Ingredients:
Water
3 boxed yellow cake mixes
6 eggs
6 extra tbs. cooking oil
2 lbs. powederd sugar
1 lb. butter, softened
2 cans strawberry pie filling
1 cup frozen strasberries
Cooking spray
flour
1/4 cup Nestle's Strawberry Syrup
1 large container of strawberry flavored whipped topping (Cool Whip)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix the cake mixes in a very large bowl according to the package directions. Add the extra 6 tbs. of cooking oil. Divide batter into 2 equal batches. Pour into greased and floured 10-inch springorm pans. Place in the oven and cook for 50 minutes. Test with clean butter knife when the timer goes off. If the knife comes out clean, remove the cakes and let cool.

While the cakes are cooking, soften the butter and add powdered sugar while beating until you reach the consistancy you like to work with. Add the strawberry syrup and blend in completely. Set aside.

Gently fold together the whipped topping, and strawberry pie filling. Thaw and add the frozen strawberries.

When the cakes have cooled, slice the top off of one cake to form a flat top. Then, slice 1/3 of the remaining cake horizontally. Remove the top 1/3 layer and set aside (a thin, plastic cutting oard works well for this task). Cut vertically, a circle from the bottom layer, leaving a 1" wide ring. Remove the circle and slice in half horizontally. Place on of the circular pieces back into the ring. Fill the inside cake with the whipped-cream/strawberry misture until it is even with the cake top. Spread the trawberry frosting on the exposed outer ring top. Place the 1/3 thick top over the cake. Spread that layer with frosting ina smooth layer.

For the second cake, don't remove the top. Just remove the top 1/3 of the cake horizontally and set aside. Again cut out a nine-inch inner circle of cake. Remove it and slice in half horizontally. Place one halve to the side. Lift the outer cake ring and carefully place it on top of the iced cake. Place the half-high cake circle inside that ring. Fill with the whipped cream/strawberry filling. Spread icing on the outer ring. Place the remaining cake, with dome, on top of the cacke. Combine any left over filling with the remaining icing and spread all over the sides and top. Refrigerate overnight or for several hours. Serve cold.

You might ask why I add the extra cooking oil beyond what the mix calls for. I have found that adding an extra 2 tbs. of cooking oil to the boxed cake recipes results in extraordinary texture and a more moist cake. Guess who is asked to make the cakes at our church and in my family. Good thing I like cooking. But it often makes me a busy man.:)
It's a bit of work, but you will be the hero of the next pot-luck, garunteed:chef: .

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

GW, I adore strawberries (check out my avatar :LOL: ). Never tried Nestle's strawberry syrup - whoo hoo. Three boxes of cake mix, wow this sounds like a party. Going to save it and peruse it. I don't mind a little work if it involves strawberries and makes a decadent dessert. Have you tried an angel food cake, sliced it in layers, and put the berries and cream (if you like), between. (A shortcut shortcake, :) ) Very pretty dessert. Thanks, weed. :)

Weed, that sounds wonderful! Lot's better than mine...but mine's easier.

Mae Davis Strawberry Cake

1 pkg white cake mix
1 pkg strawberry jello
½ cup water
4 eggs
3 tbls extra flour
1 cup oil
¾ of 10 oz pkg frozen strawberries in juice, thawed (the old fashioned kind in a cardboard container)

Dump all together and beat 4 minutes. Turn into sprayed 9x13 or two 9" round cake pans. Bake in 350 degree oven 30-35 minutes. Frost when cool.

Icing
Beat ¼ stick softened butter & remaining berries with enough powdered sugar to spread.

*Note: The cake and frosting are a most lovely shade of pink. Garnish with fresh strawberries and a sprig of mint.

Last edited:
GW, that sounds beautiful! Never thought of using strawberry syrup for the frosting - great idea! Did you find you had to add lots of powdered sugar to get the consistency you needed?

marmalady said:
GW, that sounds beautiful! Never thought of using strawberry syrup for the frosting - great idea! Did you find you had to add lots of powdered sugar to get the consistency you needed?
Actually, no. I just mixed the amount of powdered sugar to the softened butter until I got a slightly stiffer consistance than I would normaly use. But remember, I didn't add the usual vanilla so there was already just a bit less liquid in the frosting. I then added about 2 tbs. of strawberry syrup and mixed it in well. I then tasted it. Then I adjusted with the syrup until the strawberry flavor was strong enough. Like yours, it was a very nice pink color (Oh no! I said pink! I'm gonna have to go and eat a 16 oz. of rare steak now!)

When I mixed in the strawberry/whipped cream mixture into the frosting, I had to add just a bit more powdered sugar to stiffien it up a little. But the flavor was grand. I liked it because it was a cold and flavorful desert on a hot summer day.

Oh, and your recipe sounds like a winner as well. I'm gonna have to try it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom