Seared Yellowfin Tuna with an Olive-Tomato Relish and Watercress Coulis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
Thanks to the link that Jenny posted for the cooking contests, I decided to submit this one for the California Olive contests. I prefer to make this with Nicoise olives, but you have to use California Black Olives in the contest. We'll see how it goes.

Seared Yellowfin Tuna with an Olive-Tomato Relish and Watercress Coulis

Yield: 8 Servings

Ingredients:

For the fish:
8 ea., 6 oz. Fresh Sashimi Grade Yellowfin Tuna, cut into sashimi blocks
2 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
1 tsp. White Pepper
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp. Coriander seed, crushed
1 Tbsp. Fennel seed, crushed
2-3 Tbsp. Olive Oil for Frying

For the Relish:
1/3 c. California Black Olives, finely chopped
1/3 c. Vine Ripened Tomato, seeds removed, cut into 1/4" dice
2 Tbsp. Capers, rinsed and finely chopped
1 tsp. Anchovy Paste
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 Tbsp. Banyuls or Sherry Vinegar
1 tsp. Fresh Thyme, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. Italian Parsley, finely chopped
4 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

For the Coulis:
1 1/2 c. Fresh Watercress, leaves and thin stems only, rinsed and dried
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Shallots, minced
2 tsp. Fresh Garlic, minced
1/4 c. Dry White Wine
1 c. Vegetable or Chicken Stock
Kosher Salt to taste

Method:

In a dry saute pan, lightly toast the coriander and fennel seeds. Transfer seeds to a mortar and pestle or coffe grinder and crush the seeds until fine. In a bowl, combine the crushed seeds, kosher salt, cayenne, and white pepper. Reserve.

In a saute pan, heat the oil for the coulis until shimmering. Add the shallots and garlic, and sweat until translucent but not browned. Add the white wine and reduce until about 1 Tbsp. remains. Add the stock and reduce by half. Remove mixture from the stove and cool. Once cooled, transfer to a blender along with the watercress and puree until smooth. Season to taste with kosher salt, then strain and reserve.

In a non-reactive mixing bowl, combine the anchovy paste, garlic, vinegar, herbs, and oil. Whisk to combine. Fold in the olives, tomatoes, and capers. Season to taste with kosher salt if necessary and reserve.

Score the tuna on one side in 1/4" intervals (this will make the tuna easier to slice when done).Heat the oil for the tuna in a heavy skillet or saute pan on high until the oil is lightly smoking. Roll or sprinkle the spice mixture on all four sides of each piece of tuna. Quickly sear the tuna on all four sides, about 25-30 seconds per side so that a nice crust forms on the surface. Remove the tuna from the pan and using the scored marks as a guide, slice each piece into 1/4" slices.

To plate: Drizzle about 2 Tbsp. of the coulis onto a plate. Lay or fan the slices of tuna on the coulis. Arrage about 2 Tbsp. of the relish on or around the sliced tuna and serve immediately.

Sounds great, IC... I would like to try this with a nice fresh cut of swordfish. I may also use a sliced anchovy fillet instead of the paste, which I don't care much for... or should I just leave out the anchovy?

Probably I won't be able to recreate the artistic effect like you do, but I am sure this will be good for a special dinner!!:)

urmaniac13 said:
Sounds great, IC... I would like to try this with a nice fresh cut of swordfish. I may also use a sliced anchovy fillet instead of the paste, which I don't care much for... or should I just leave out the anchovy?

Probably I won't be able to recreate the artistic effect like you do, but I am sure this will be good for a special dinner!!:)

An anchovy fillet would work fine. I would just mash it up with the oil and the vinegar, then add the garlic, herbs, etc. and proceed as normal.

Back
Top Bottom