Ice Cream Machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArticKatt

Cook
Ok I did it. I know its another thing to clutter up the counter top but I really really needed it. (I know I have said this before but this time its true honest)The store near us changed the type of icecream they carry and we cant get a good Chocolate Ice Cream with No Sugar Added. So I figure its way easier to make my own then to find a new place to buy it. Well that and the store had it on Clearence. I got a Wilton Increadible Ice Cream Machine for under 20.00 bucks. Only one problem no instruction book. I know how to use the machine but I don't have any recipes to try. I can use a regular recipe and use splenda instead of sugar. But not sure the best type of recipe to try. and Oh did I say they have to be Chocolate. Anyone with any advice on this machine please let me know the bowl is in the freezer as I type this. Trust me I will be up at 1:00am to make ice cream. LOL they say to let the bowl freeze for 24 hours. and its Midnight now. Maybe I can wait till Wed. Morning to make it but I am not that sure. I got fudgecicles in the freezer so they might hold us till Wed Morning. I guess I should mention that I am a applience junkie and also we have a diabetic Chocolate Holic in the house as well. :LOL:

I'm not familiar with the Wilton machine, but I think all the brands that you put the canister in the freezer have a lot in common.

Here's a recipe from the Canadian section of Rival's manual. It is of course not sugar free, but, from your post, I'm sure you have the experience to adapt it.

Chocolate Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2/3 cup sugar
Dash salt
2 ounces semisweet chocolate squares, finely chopped
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup table cream
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine milk, sugar, salt and chocolate in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture almost boils. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Add the eggs to remaining hot mixture. Cook and stir over low heat until slightly thickened (2 minutes). Stir in table cream, whipping cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Pour into canister and freeze...

This sounds good and gives me someplace to start. Thanks so much I knew this was the place to come.

The only thing that I hate about the machines that come with pre-freeze canisters is that they make you wait up to eight hours or overnight to freeze the thing before you can use it to make ice cream!

Other then that, I guess they're ok. But I never have to go through that because my machine has it own built-in sealed refrigerating system.

Corey123.

Corey123 said:
...But I never have to go through that because my machine has it own built-in sealed refrigerating system.Corey123.

That would be dangerous in my hands. I'd have that thing cranking all the time.

One of the main advantages of having a self-contained machine, as it is often called, is so that you can keep the main (compressor) switch on while you are making batch, after batch, after batch of your favorite frozen treats.

Yes, you could possibly endanger your hands by touching the cold well too long and getting them stuck to the surface, or worst yet, get them burned from the extremely cold surface.

But having this machine is such a joy and pleasure to use!! It completey eliminates the drudgery that's involved with the manual hand-crank units that require salt and ice!

My machine DOES have removable bowls that make batch making so much easier.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
That would be dangerous in my hands. I'd have that thing cranking all the time.
Corey123 said:
Yes, you could possibly endanger your hands by touching the cold well too long and getting them stuck to the surface, or worst yet, get them burned from the extremely cold surface.
I'm not sure this what Andy M. meant but for me, in my hands, the danger would be to my waistline.

I've tried making two batches but the second didn't really freeze. Also my freezer is 0F and the ice cream comes out best if I leave the canister in for at least 24 hrs.

Yes, I forgot that's what he meant!

You must also have one that makes you prefreeze the canister first. To me, that takes way too long!!

In way less than the time it takes to freeze those things for eight hours, my machine is done making as many as four batches of ice cream.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
You must also have one that makes you prefreeze the canister first. To me, that takes way too long!!
In way less than the time it takes to freeze those things for eight hours, my machine is done making as many as four batches of ice cream.

Corey123,
I would prefer to have one like yours. Until then I'll have to make do.

I am the same way I would love a nice one that I could make a lot of ice cream in but for now this will have to do. and I am thinking make a batch put it in container and put bowl back in freezer make second batch second day. One batch a day is more then enough for 2 people. LOL

And it was under 20.00Canadian for me this was the big draw. money is real tight right now. I also bought a Kenmore grill at the same time I blew my whole summer budge on that but its a must have the old one rusted out.

Sugar Free Chocolate Ice Cream
Ingredients:
1 teaspoon plain gelatin
2 1/2 cups low fat milk
1/2 cup Nestle Quik Sugar Free chocolate drink mix
1 cup drained yogurt (the solid half of 2 cups yogurt strained overnight)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
dash salt
Directions:
Soften gelatin in 1/2 cup milk. Heat in a small saucepan until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat. Place saucepan in another bowl of cold or ice water to cool mixture to room temperature. Pour mixture into a blender or food processor. Add remaining milk, Quik, yogurt, vanilla and salt. Blend until smooth. Cover. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to freeze. Blend for a few seconds before pouring into the ice cream maker. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for freezing.

ArticKatt said:
I am the same way I would love a nice one that I could make a lot of ice cream in but for now this will have to do. and I am thinking make a batch put it in container and put bowl back in freezer make second batch second day. One batch a day is more then enough for 2 people.
My 1 1/2 qt. canister makes ice cream almost as fast I can eat and way faster than I should eat it.

I have both the Kitchen Aid ice cream maker accessory and a Cuisinart Yogurt and Ice Cream machine and both make fantastic ice cream. It is very important that you freeze the bowls of these appliances for at least 24 hours to make sure the ice cream freezes up the way it should when the dashers are spinning. The ice cream will be ready in about 25 minutes but will be at the "soft serve" stage. You can eat it that way if you like, but to cure it to the hard stage, like the ice cream should be, you must put it in the freezer for at least 4 hours. I keep mine in the freezer for 6 hours and it's ready. Put the ice cream from the machine bowl into a plastic container with a cover. Lay a piece of Saran or Cling Wrap OVER THE ICE CREAM, not the top of the container. If the wrap is snuggly over the ice cream you will not get ice crystals forming on the top.
For some great recipes, I love Ben & Jerry's Dessert and Ice cream book. There are some good books on the market that feature sugar free ice cream so look for them at a good book store. And here's a tip: When making chocolate ice cream use a good quality chocolate. I buy chunks of Ghirardelli chocolate from Trader Joe's. Makes great ice cream.

Homemade ice cream is great because you can make any flavor you want and according to the recipes you can add other ingredients to suit your taste. I haven't had store bought ice cream in over a year. My favorite is B & J's Coffee Toffee Crunch. To die for!!!

Drama Queen said:
I have both the Kitchen Aid ice cream maker accessory and a Cuisinart Yogurt and Ice Cream machine and both make fantastic ice cream. It is very important that you freeze the bowls of these appliances for at least 24 hours to make sure the ice cream freezes up the way it should when the dashers are spinning. The ice cream will be ready in about 25 minutes but will be at the "soft serve" stage. You can eat it that way if you like, but to cure it to the hard stage, like the ice cream should be, you must put it in the freezer for at least 4 hours. I keep mine in the freezer for 6 hours and it's ready. Put the ice cream from the machine bowl into a plastic container with a cover. Lay a piece of Saran or Cling Wrap OVER THE ICE CREAM, not the top of the container. If the wrap is snuggly over the ice cream you will not get ice crystals forming on the top.
For some great recipes, I love Ben & Jerry's Dessert and Ice cream book. There are some good books on the market that feature sugar free ice cream so look for them at a good book store. And here's a tip: When making chocolate ice cream use a good quality chocolate. I buy chunks of Ghirardelli chocolate from Trader Joe's. Makes great ice cream.

Homemade ice cream is great because you can make any flavor you want and according to the recipes you can add other ingredients to suit your taste. I haven't had store bought ice cream in over a year. My favorite is B & J's Coffee Toffee Crunch. To die for!!!

Yes, to die for!!!

I already do the Saran wrap thing. And yes, it DOES help keep crystals from forming. Not only that, It also helps the ice cream stay fresher longer, so that it doesn't lose its flavor and taste and end up becoming rancid.:ermm:

Where can I get the B&J recipe book? I'd like to get it for the low-cal sugar-free recipes.:chef:

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom