Creme Brulee' Torch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
Does anyone have one of these?:ermm:

Sounds like a French name for it.

I'm seriously considering getting one from Bed Bath & Beyond. They're cheap there, and one come with a set of four small ramekins to bake the custard in.

I've always wanted one of these gadgets for browning light delecate desserts. I've seen celebrity chefs like Paula Deen and Emeril Lagasse use one. Your thoughts, please.

~Corey123.

The conventional wisdom is to go get a propane torch from the hardware store. They are probably less expensive. You can be sure the gas refills are less expensive.

Andy M. said:
The conventional wisdom is to go get a propane torch from the hardware store. They are probably less expensive. You can be sure the gas refills are less expensive.

Yup. Unless you're looking for presentation and you're carmelizing the sugar at the client's table, go with a standard torch. I've even seen the standard ones come out on Iron Chef, America.

I agree with all the others. Go with a regular propane torch. They are less expensive, hold more gas, the refills are less expensive, and they can perform other functions.

the other sells for $10, the fuel is very cheap and lasts a very long time. They are essentially the same thing, only BB&B "named" it a creme brulee torch and doubled the price

i just looked at the torch, it is small and flimsey and will break a lot easier than a regular torch, also the flame is very small and wll take forever to brulee your creme. it doesn't hold much fuel either

the one above that GB has the link to, those large canistars are only about 3-4 dollars and if all you are using it for, you will NEVER even use 1 can. one lasts me a very long time, and I do 20 or so brulees a day

GB said:
That is a lot more than this and it is also a lot smaller. Plus how much are the refills?

I just bought the Creme Brulet Kit that I mentioned which comes with 4 little ramekins. And 2 4.0-fl. oz cans of Zippo butane fuel for $5.00 each.

Comes to about $30.00.:chef:

~Corey123.

You got ripped off IMO, but as long as you are happy with your purchase then that is all that matters.

Yes, I DID want it and the butane fuel.

I wanted better control over using one one those hardware toches.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I just bought one for a few bucks. Bought it in a Belgian store, so I guess I'm not of much use! Wonder if it's going to work... :mellow:

Corey123 said:
I just bought the Creme Brulet Kit that I mentioned which comes with 4 little ramekins. And 2 4.0-fl. oz cans of Zippo butane fuel for $5.00 each.

Comes to about $30.00.:chef:

~Corey123.

Let me know how this works. I bought the same thing at BBB for a birthday gift for a friend. My girlfriend made the creme brulee (which was fabulous) but the torch didn't work. I'm anxious to see if yours does.

What caused the torch not to work? Did she fuel it with butgane first?

I'll try mine right now.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Corey, I don't know why it didn't work - she was assuming it would work and was ready to use it and *nothing* - in a pinch, she used the flame and aim lighter - it took a very long time but we got the idea. She said she was gonna investigate it more later. Creme brulee was good though!

Michelemarie said:
Let me know how this works. I bought the same thing at BBB for a birthday gift for a friend. My girlfriend made the creme brulee (which was fabulous) but the torch didn't work. I'm anxious to see if yours does.

Mine works!!

I just followed the instructions on how to charge it, charged it with butane, waited five minutes and then I ignited it! And it works now!:)

Bring on the Creme Brulet!!!:chef:

~Corey123.

ANDYM has the right idea. I bought a cute little creme brulee torch from Sur La Table. It took me 40 minutes to carmelize the sugar on 8 ramikins of creme brulee. Took it back and bought one from the hardware store. In 6 minutes all eight were beautifully browned. Forget "cute" go with what works.

Back
Top Bottom