Do you measure baking soda or baking powder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

how often do you use more baking powder or soda than called for?

• regularly

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • sometimes

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • never

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

philso

Senior Cook
how often do you fudge the amount of baking powder or soda called for in your pancakes, muffins, quickbreads and biscuits? by about how much?

when i'm measuring, most measurements are either "rounded" or "heaping", and when i'm not measuring, i'm pretty sure i'm being rather generous.

Last edited:
never, for me. I am not fond of eating baking powder or soda. And quick breads and pancakes are "chemistry in the kitchen". I do not want to mess with the ratio of these leavening agents.

I only measure if there's a lot to be added, then I level off the tsp measure. Otherwise, I've gotten pretty good at eyeballing the amount in the palm of my hand.

It depends on what I'm making. If it is biscuits or similar, that I make all the time (for more years than I can count) I rarely measure anything and they always turn out great. For cakes or other sensitive recipes, I always measure and level off.

I always measure exactly when baking. Baking is chemistry. And baking powder and baking soda are all about chemical reactions..

I always measure because once I accidentally put too much baking soda in. My cookies didn't taste too pleasant.

Back
Top Bottom