I'm going to miss this Garden this winter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raven

Sous Chef
This little container garden I've got going on my patio is spoiling me rotten :mrgreen:

I got hungry last night and heard a cucumber calling my name, so I just went outside and picked one, along with a tomato, a carrot, some Genovese Basil and a tiny bulb of Garlic.

I crushed the garlic and let it steep in some Extra Virgin Olive Oil while I chopped the tomato and Basil and frenched the carrot, then tossed it all together with some (store-bought) lettuce, Deli ham and freshly grated Parmesean cheese and PIGGED!!! :pig: It was awesome.

I don't know why but it still freaks me out to be able to make (almost) a whole salad out of the stuff I have growing on my patio. :mrgreen:

That's the first time I've ever tossed fresh Basil into a salad though (usually I just use it in tomato sauces) but I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat another salad without it now ha ha.

~ Raven ~

I've tried indoor gardening in the past but haven't had much luck. We don't have any sunny windows and my grow lights aren't strong enough :( (they're just right for seedlings and herbs. :) )

~ Raven ~

All I have growing here are hot peppers and I can't eat that many by myself! So they usually go to waste. I do have coconuts but they turned bad because of the hurricane, and pineapple plants - but those only produce fruit once a year... if they're having a good year :)

sounds good raven.
i admire people who keep up their deck and window gardens. i don't think i could go back to container gardening again, having rebuilt my plot of garden soil.

we've been taking in plastic shopping bags full of arrugula, spinach, and mixed leaf lettuces for a few weeks now. most of it has bolted with the recent temps in the 90's, so what remains is probably gonna get pulled and composted tomorrow. i'll replant in september.

also have been taking in lots of peppery radishes. if you think those bland, tasteless slices of red rimmed white disks in most salads known as radishes are good, then you haven't had a fresh radish. mine almost have a heat factor like a chilli pepper. i'm probably going to replant white icicles after the reds are done.

my bush stringbeans are producing a bean or 2 every few days, enough for a garden snack, but the bush isn't growing much. same goes for my hot wax peppers. tiny plants are trying to squeeze out a fruit. i wonder if it has to do with the weather (large swings in temp over the past few weeks, lots of cool rainy days, followed by very hot sunny days), or if it is caused by the low pH compost that i turned into the soil before planting. my tomatoes aren't very green and robust, rather spindly for this time of year, but there's hundreds of flowers appearing. flowers meat fruit, so i'm not complaining.

i saw a coupla small green tomatoes today while weeding. should have some reds by the middle of july. tons of flowers on my grape tomatoes too. won't be long before we're eating them in handfuls.

good luck to everyone's garden this season! :)

Back
Top Bottom