Salad Dressings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I have a ton of lettuce in the garden. It is delicate baby leaves. I'm interested in anyone's ideas on dressing them. I know the best is good olive oil and good vinegar or lemon juice. Maybe a touch of mustard. Anyone have any other ideas? Creamy doesn't work, the lettuce is very fragile.

Creamy can work if it's very light - this is an old recipe a friend gave me; she used to serve it over baby spinach and it's delish!

BETTY’S SOUR CREAM DRESSING
2/3 cup olive oil
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
Chives

Whisk together all ingredients.

Or - a light fruit dressing, with pureed raspberries/strawberries.

We just changed our recipe for Balsamic Viniagrette at work. Now we take minced garlic and shallots, sweat them in olive oil, and when they're cooked (but not browned), remove from the heat and cool. Add in some good Balsamic vinegar, and store in a bottle you can shake.

If you can find it, try Hendrixson's Salad Dressing. It's made from white balsamic vinegar with garlic, herbs and seasonings and just a hint of olive oil. It's light and delicious...I think you'll enjoy it.

Claire said:
I have a ton of lettuce in the garden. It is delicate baby leaves. I'm interested in anyone's ideas on dressing them. I know the best is good olive oil and good vinegar or lemon juice. Maybe a touch of mustard. Anyone have any other ideas? Creamy doesn't work, the lettuce is very fragile.

Claire, are you planning on eating the lettuce all by its lonesome? If the lettuce is too fragile, I would add in an assortment of greens and use about any dressing of choice.

How about a strawberry balsamic, honey-dijon, asian with toasted sesame seeds. Anything citrusy - i.e. lemon, lime, orange is another thought. A dressing I really liked (although it was bottled & creamy), was cucumber dressing. Delish! Take a stroll down the salad dressing aisle at the market, there are a gazillion ideas for inspiration.

Last edited:
Champagne vinegar, strawberries, and olive oil, pureed, s+p

Mint, cucumber,Champagne vin, olive oil, mix in blender, strain, s+p

I like just some citrus juice based dressings too....like the above mentioned.

Believe me, I'm going to try all of your suggestions at least in part. The lettuce is mostly oak leaf -- very wimpy stuff. Sunday is our "bunch for brunch", plus I have a freind coming in from Virginia for the weekend. I also have Chinese mustard greens, some spinach, and Swiss chard, but for the most part I stir fry them. I'm going to combine a couple of your answers and make the dressing for Sunday and toss it at the last minute. I'm debating whether to go Asian or Mediterranean. I suspect I'll be a coward and go with the latter simply because I have tons of the herbs to go with it.

Back
Top Bottom