Fridge input needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi, my fridge is dying a slow painful death. DH and I are looking at getting a new fridge. I'd love to hear your thoughts on various brands and features. What do you think works and what doesn't work? So far we've looked at several close out models at Sears. Kitchen aid, GE, Kenmore, & Whirlpool. Most of these are the kind that have the pull out freezer on bottom. I've never used this kind, think it would get too heavy and be hard to find stuff...In a couple of days, we'll go see what Costco has. The main thing I am looking for is usability. I need my fridge to be able to store a decent amt of stuff and accomodate larger pots. Too many options, it's overload!:wacko:

Any thoughts? Thanks!

my bf and i just bought a new fridge a few months ago when the old one that came with the house we bought died (irritatingly just after i bought $50 worth of meat :mad: ). we went out and looked at a few scratch-n-dent appliance stores and didn't find any spectacular deals. last place we went was a sears appliance outlet. they were having a sale on bottom-mount and double door fridges, 50% off. got a heck of a deal on a kenmore elite treo with water and ice maker, i think we walked out the door with it for $750, no blemishes or marks. stainless steel, 25 cubic feet, full size drawer on the bottom of the fridge part. the freezer on the bottom is awesome, makes much more sense than on top cause it doesn't get opened all the time like the fridge, better for those who don't like to bend down all the time to get the veggies or hunt for somthing stuffed in the back. the freezer drawer is mounted on ball-bearing rollers i believe, slides out very easily even when loaded down with meat. the freezer door also tilts out which is really slick when ya wanna grab something quick like a roll of sausage. i highly recommend the bottom mount ones, they're spendier but if you have a sears outlet or other appliance outlet they can be fairly resonable.

Mine is a Whirlpool frost-free, but it's an apartment size 10-cu.ft. model..

You'll probably want a 14, 18 or a 20-cubic ft. model.

~Corey123.

I bought a close out modle from Sears. Whirlpool black side by side fridge. They were really pushing the extended service they sell. I didn't get it. Hope I don't regret it later. :)

htc said:
I bought a close out modle from Sears. Whirlpool black side by side fridge. They were really pushing the extended service they sell. I didn't get it. Hope I don't regret it later. :)

Extended service contracts are a money maker for the seller. That's why they push it. I always refuse to buy them.

I had 5 refrigerators in 45 years of marriage and never had a problem with any of them. I never buy the service contract on anything and never regretted it. The only fridge I would NEVER have again the side by side model. Not enough width on the shelves and the dang thing ran constantly. I found out later that this type of fridge uses a lot more energy than the top or bottom freezer. The best one I ever had is the one I have now, Amana bottom freezer. I'm in my freezer maybe once every couple of days, but I'm in the fridge part 20 times a day so having everything at eye level is perfect for me. I guess it boils down to what is good for YOU. You are the only one that can determine what you need. Good luck.

Andy M. said:
Extended service contracts are a money maker for the seller. That's why they push it. I always refuse to buy them.

And in most cases, the store or company will offer it to you again sometime later when the original is about to expire. Sears usually does that.:angel:

I DID buy an additional 3-year extended warranty with the Kenmore microwave.:)

And yes, my old fridge was also dying a slow painful death as well. Things on it started to break one by one, and I had to act fast before the compressor decided to go south.:ermm:

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom