Made and tasted my first pickles!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my65289stang

Assistant Cook
It wasn't all that long ago that I found this site and the canning forum inspired me to try to make bread and butter pickles. I have never canned anything in my life so I thought I would give it a whirl. I just tried the pickles the other day after about a month of waiting and they were AWESOME! I will make them again for sure.

Here is the recipe that I used if anyone is interested http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/usda/utah_can_guide_06.pdf
I actually made 1/2 of this recipe since I had never canned anything before and honestly wasn't sure how great it would turn out.

Just a few more days and I can try my wheel of cheese(also inspired by this site) :)

Woohoo! Me too GB. I'm especially pleased that the canning forum helped out. There aren't all that many folks that do canning anymore so its lovely to hear we may have created another convert.

I copied and printed that out, thanks Stang!!! Yes, I would say the canning forum here has helped more than you would realize; I have found recipes similar to what I was looking for there!

Congratulations on your first pickling experience :D You should now be officially "hooked" :D

This is very similiar to my grandmothers recipe.

4lbs Sliced Cucumbers
2lbs Sliced Onions (just 50% of the amount of Cucumbers)
1/2 Cup pickling salt
4 Cups (1 quart) Vinegar
2 Cups Sugar
2tsp Tumeric
2tsp Celery Seed
2tsp Mustard Seed

The rest is identicle :)

As a matter of fact I made a double batch of these today, 14 pints since 1:00 this afternoon (as a matter of fact I just sat down trying to get my dog's to stop throbbing LOL!).

~ Raven ~

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom