Prime Rib on BBQ help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I'm making Ken's birthday dinner outside tonight as it is too hot for life today. I want to do the prime rib on the BBQ and am thinking that if I have one burner on and place the roast on the other side that should work like my oven right? I don't have an oven thermometer and the one on the BBQ reads Hi, Med and Low. Where is 350 in there? Med to High?

Suggestions? I need to get started in about an hour or so.

Thanks Gretchen. I don't want to mess up such a beautiful roast, but honestly it is too hot to cook this in the oven.

Anther great way to cook this chunk of meat is full blast and then let set. Let me explain.

In the oven, and effective way is to place the prime rim, after seasoning of course, into a cold oven, heating up to 450 to 500 (depending on how high your oven will go), then turning off the heat and allowing the meat to cool with the oven. This quickly sears and browns the outer meat surface and provides sufficient heat to bring the internal temp up to about 125 - 130. And Prime rib should never be cooked more than 130 degrees F. Just adapt the technique to your grill.

To be sure, no matter what method you are going to use, use a meat thermometer to insure the proper internal temperature of the meat.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks GWOTN, I have no difficulty cooking prime rib in the oven, and have been doing it successfully for some years now. My question was about doing it in the BBQ as I have not tried that with great success.

HOWEVER...I went to try this tonight. Had the meat seasoned and ready to go in my trusty CI. Fired up the BBQ, turned off one burner after achieving optimum heat...put the meat in...checked after 1/2 an hour to make sure all was well...and no heat. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!! We ran out of propane! And we usually have an extra tank for just such an emergency BUT, you guessed it, the emergency tank was empty too! We'd forgotten to refill it after the last episode.

So, this thread was moot. I ended up putting it into the oven after all and heating the house up to scorch. Sigh. Oh well, it tasted fabulous so I should just stop complaining and live in the basement for a while. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom