Hot Pepper Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGravesNBS

Assistant Cook
Hot Pepper Recipe

I know this goes against the rules can anyone help?

My Mother use to make a recipe with cut up Hot Peppers Green, Red and Yellow and with Garlic.

This was processed in brine then stored in quart canning jars with brine, spices and Olive Oil.

At this point jar lids were hand tighten, with no processing and no refrigeration.

What are the amounts of olive oil, vinegar and water for a quart jar?

Thank, John

John, while your mom may have made a recipe like that & never experienced any problems, by today's canning standards it would be decidedly unsafe.

Also - you'd probably get more feedback besides mine if you re-posted this over on the "Canning and Preserving" forum.

The marvelous Admins have already done the deed for you, John!! Hopefully someone with more in-depth info ont he best & safest way for you to proceed will post here.

I would suggest following a recipe tested at an extension center.
The recipe you speak of sounds as if it has no acidity and that would be unsafe in a water bath method much less hoping to seal it by hand.
Also, if you do choose a tested recipe, do NOT cut up the peppers if they are supposed to be whole. Cutting up the peppers allows more peppers per jar and less acidic liquid, changing the ph level and making it unsafe.
I think a brined recipe would need a pressure bath canning method, imo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom