Crafty question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Z

Head Chef
I have created a sign for the front door of our agency. It is printed on a fairly heavy guage white paper (8.5 x 11). I plan to 'mat' this against a cut up manilla mailing envelope. What is the best way to fix the papers together cleanly without visable tape or glue bleeding through?

(I probably learned this in Kindergarten, but it's been a long time and I guess I forgot)

Try double-stick tape, Z!

Or perhaps you can use those foam circle thingies that are sticky on both sides. It will make your sign "pop" out!

Or, maybe use a glue stick. Don't worry if you get a colored one - they make them so that kids can see where the glue is going, then the color disappears as it dries.

Can you tell I have children?

hee hee

I was hoping to use something I had on hand... How about Elmer's glue-all or spray glue (scary stuff). If I use just a tiny amount of Elmer's just to hold it in place, do you think that would bleed through?

I want to place the sign on the inside of a glass door (shaded so it shouldn't fade much if any). I don't think I can avoid using tape around the edges for this.

Elmer's tends to wrinkle the paper. I'd go with the spray glue. It's made for this exact situation.

Andy M. said:
Elmer's tends to wrinkle the paper. I'd go with the spray glue. It's made for this exact situation.

But Andy... I'm.... frightened :ermm:

edited: I just looked and what I have is called "Trim Adhesive", apparently for automotive and other fabrics.

Last edited:
Frightened? No need.

Place the sign face down on some newspaper and spray the back side with the glue (you don't need a lot). Then carefully pick it up and place it on the backing. Press it into place.

I might need to go check out the local craft store. I just tried the spray but, before I tried it on my sign, I sprayed into a safe space. It comes out with tremendous force and focus (as opposed to a gentle, broad spray) and doesn't seem to be adjustable. I don't think it was intended for this purpose and may, therefore, be unsuitable.

Z, if you can wait to get to a Craft/Fabric store:

Double-sided tape - It comes in several thicknesses. Be careful, and don't use the heavy stuff. (I tried to mount an art project on the wall, and it took the plaster off.)

Spray adhesive - works on paper mounting projects.

Glue sticks & Elmer's can bubble.

Suction hooks are okay when used on the appropriate surface.

Thanks for the advice. Spray seems to be the consensus for the paper mounting part of it. Seems simple enough if I get the right kind. Then I just need to mount it to the glass door. I'm thinking tape from behind should do, unless anyone has a better idea.

Think Realtor. If you have a window ledge, you could prop the sign up against the window, or hang the sign outside.:)

Thanks mish... but it's really quite thin and I don't think propping or hanging outside would be good options.

update: I went to the craft store and bought some spray adhesive. The job looks pretty good and it was WAY gentler than that other high pressure garbage I was THINKING about using.

Back
Top Bottom