pressure canning or water bath

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

groundhog

Assistant Cook
I am new to canning and just read the ball blue book--can I use my pressure canner to can tomatoes? Or do I have to buy a water bath too?

Sure you can...no problem. They'll only take a few minutes that way. Your pressure canner should have come with an instruction book, and it will tell you how long and what pressure for tomatoes.
You can also use your pressure canner like a boiling water bath...just don't tighten the lid.

PS...Here's a site that will tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/canning/fruits.php

Last edited:
THere is a difference between a pressure canner and a pressure cooker. Do not use the cooker for canning. For a water bath you need a pan with a rack to hold the jars and deep enough to completely cover the jars with water by about 2".

I only use pressure canners to can my vegetables. In my continuing efforts to downsize my "stuff", I have gotten rid of my boiling water bath canner. When I can my tomatoes, I cannot resist adding garlic, onions, celery, etc, so I must use the pressure canner. Some things, not when I have added low acid veggies, I only bring up to 11 pounds pressure and turn off the heat (pressure can for 0 minutes). Follow the current recommendations with a canner book, either Ball or the pressure canner instructions.

Don't you think you STILL need your water bath canner for sterilizing the jars, lids and the equipment used in the process?

I'd still keep it for THAT if for nothing else!

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
Don't you think you STILL need your water bath canner for sterilizing the jars, lids and the equipment used in the process?

I'd still keep it for THAT if for nothing else!

~Corey123.

I don't need a vessel nearly that large solely to sterilize my jars and equipment. I have a wide assortment of stainless steel stock pots for cheese making, and any one of those pots does the job nicely.

groundhog said:
I am new to canning and just read the ball blue book--can I use my pressure canner to can tomatoes? Or do I have to buy a water bath too?

If the recipe for canning tomatoes you are using calls for a water canner - yes, just don't seal the lid - it will then work just like a water canner. If you have a large baking sheet that will cover the top of the pot - you can use that for a lid. A water canner isn't very sophisticated ... it's just a pot with a rack on the bottom that will elevate the jars 1/2-1 inch above the bottom of the pot and you can cover them with 1-2 inches of water and boil it for a specified period of time.

Canners usually have lift-out baskets which are really nice. But, I started canning using a tamale pot with a flat grate (like a cake cooking rack) in the bottom ... it worked just fine.

Last edited:
I might get into this now, since it seems to be more interesting.

At first, I looked at it as a lot of hard work. But now I'm beginning to think of it as something that might be fun!

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom