What else to do with beef tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vegas Girl

Senior Cook
I have several packages of beef stew meat and beef tips in the freezer.
Besides making stew, soup, or beef stroganoff, what else can I do with
them?

I start frying the meat, thinking I'm going to make something 'different' with it, but I always end up just combining it with noodles and making beef stroganoff.

What other things are good to mix with the meat to end up with a different dish?

BRAISED BEEF TIPS

2 tbsp. butter
2 lbs. beef sirloin tips, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can beef consomme
1/3 c. cranberry cocktail
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. onion salt
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 c. water
4 c. hot cooked rice
Melt butter in large skillet and brown meat on all sides. Stir in consomme, cranberry cocktail, soy sauce, garlic, and onion salt; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for one hour or until meat is tender. Blend cornstarch and water; stir gradually into the stew. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens and boils. Cook 1 minute more. Serve over rice. Serves 6-8.

Most 'authentic' chili recipes used cubed beef, not ground beef. Here's a Tex-Mex chili I posted also in Pazzo's topic 'Help, I'm leaving' topic -

TEX MEX CHILI

makes 5 cups

1T cumin seeds
1 ½ tsp. coriander seed
3T veg. oil
2T. Mex. oregano
3lb. beef chuck cubed
1 large onion
8 cloves garlic
5 jalapenos
3T masa harina
2T pasilla powder
1dried chipotle
2lb.tomatoes
1 bottle dark beer
1oz. unsweetened chocolate
4 cups chicken stock
1 dried New Mexico chile

Toast and grind cumin and coriander. In large pot, heat oil til very hot; brown meat in oil in batches til browned; remove from pot. Add onion, garlic, jalepenos, masa harina, pasilla powder, and cumin, coriander and oregano. Stir over medium high til onion begins to soften; return meat to skillet, add tomatoes, whole dried chiles, beer, chocolate, and stock. Simmer til meat is fork tender, about 1 ½ hours. Season with salt/pepper and remove whole chiles before serving.

Do you have a grill pan or gas grill? if not use your broiler.. get some skewers and make beef kebabs... use the beef chunks with onion, green pepper, zucchini, or anything you like.. then make a really great dipping sauce..

Here is a good recipe:

Fajita Kebabs:

1 1/2 lbs beef tips
2 bell peppers--1 green and 1 yellow, cut into 1"chunks
1 cup pearl onions peeled
1/2 cup prepared olive oil vinaigrette salad dressing
1/4 cup prepared mustard
1/4 cup hot sauce
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
flour or corn tortillas
sour cream
chopped tomatoes
shredded cheddar

Thread meat, peppers and onions alternately onto metal skewers. Place skewers in shallow glass dish. To prepare marinade, combine salad dressing, mustard, hot sauce and seasonings in small bowl; mix well. Pour marinade over skewers, turning to coat evenly. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least 15 min..but even better if you leave it for 3-4 hours.

Place skewers on grid, reserving marinade. Grill over hot coals 15 min or until beef is med-rare, turning and basting often with marinade. (Do not baste during the last 5 min of cooking.) To serve, remove meat and vegies from skewers. Place in tortillas and top with sour cream, chopped tomatoes, or shredded cheddar.

If you are using your broiler: Prepare kebabs as directed. Place on broiler pan 4-6" from heat...15-20 min.... until meat is med-rare or desired doneness and vegies are crisp/tender........turning and brushing occasionally with marinade.

BEEF ENCHILADAS

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 lb beef tips or stew meat, cut into smaller pieces
1 tbsp diced Jalapeno
Corn tortillas
Shredded cheese
Diced onions

Cook meat and drain. Set aside. Combine in blender cream of chicken soup, Jalapeno and blend well. Add to meat and cook until boiling, keep on low flame.

Lightly fry corn tortillas. Place on plate and sprinkle with cheese and onions, then top with meat mixture and roll up. Garnish with lettuce and tomatoes. Beef can be replaced with cooked and chopped chicken.

I love it too, but I think my son gets tired of it. He knows every time he sees chunks of beef out, it turns into beef stroganoff.

But now I have some new ideas. Thanks.

lol@running at the sight of stew meat.....if you don't like the ideas given earlier.. gee.. make a good stir-fry that your son might like.. orrrrrrrrrr...

brown the beef in a skillet first.. then make a pizza with that being one of the toppings.. get creative!.. there are tons of things you can do... you could even stir it into some mac-n-cheese. You could even cut into tiny chunks and brown it.. then top it on baked potatoes.. then put cheese on top..then put back in oven/broiler until cheese is melted.. tons of ideas!

Here is another idea...brown the stew meat like you usually would.. oven-bake some french-fries on a cookie sheet. Make a platter of assorted lettuce of your choice.. top with vegies (if your son likes vegies) and croutons (either homemade or store-bought). Just before steak and fries are done, top salad with your cheese of choice (I like basic cheddar). Top all that off with the french-fries, then the sauteed (or grilled) stew meat chunks... makes a great steak salad. That is something else you can get creative with too. A place here in town serves onion rings on top, in place of the FF.

Back
Top Bottom