Grape leaf question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pazzo

Assistant Cook
In America, I have a neighbor who has just given me her entire picking of grape leaves as a gift before I return to Italy in 2 weeks. I want to take them with me, because, believe it or not, the flavour is different. Is it possible to preserve/package them?

Hi Pazzo,

Here is a recipe to preserve your grape leaves. My question would be if customs would even let you bring them into the country. I'd definately check and double-check just to be sure. I'd hate for you to have to give them up in customs. Below are 2 recipes I found.

Use tender, light-green leaves from a variety of grapevines.

Preserved Grape Leaves

2 teaspoons pickling salt
1 quart water
About 30 grape leaves, stemmed
1 cup water plus ¼ C lemon juice
Yield: 1 pint

1. Bring the salt and 1 quart water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the leaves and blanch them for 30 seconds. Drain.
2. Stack the leaves in small piles of about 6 each, and roll the stacks loosely from the side. Pack into a pint mason jar, folding the ends over if necessary.
3. In a small saucepan, bring to a boil the water and lemon juice. Pour the hot liquid over the rolled leaves, leaving ½-inch headspace. Wipe rim, seal with 2-piece lid and process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water bath.
Note: These leaves are not salty and will not have to be rinsed before stuffing them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wash leaves and stack in piles of 24, with shiny side
up. Roll up and tie with string.

Bring 8 cups water to the boil with 1/4 cup salt.
Drop in 4 bundles at a time, return to the boil and
blanch for 3 minutes, turning rolls over to blanch
evenly. Lift out and drain. Repeat with remaining
rolls.

Make a brine with 8 cups water boiled with 1 cup rock
salt.

Pack rolls upright into warm sterilized jars and pour
hot brine over leaves. Remove air bubbles and seal
when cold.

Brine is sufficient for 20 bundles of leaves.
Increase accordingly to quantity being preserved.

Mallos. ISBN: 1 86302 069 1

Back
Top Bottom