Useful little DIY gadget made with an oddball spoon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
We came up with this idea the other day, and it turned out to be a very handy tool in the kitchen.

We are fond of stuffed vegetables, like tomatoes, zucchini (courgette), mushrooms, aubergenes (eggplant) etc. In order to speed up the process and save the risk of damaging the "shells", Cris, being his usual "Mr. DIY" self, got a brilliant idea of taking one of the stray spoons which doesn't match with anything else, sharpened around the edges with a file (sharp enough to dig through the inside of the vegetables but not so sharp as a knife). Now this turned out to be a mini-shovel perfect for the purpose of making stuffed-just-about-anything, with this spoon you can easily dig out the inside or seeds without a lot of worry about accidentally splitting, cracking or poking a hole on the shells.

I am sure those stray spoons lay around in the drawers of every household, just wanted to share this great idea for its use:)

Great idea Licia!

I usually use a grapefruit spoon for things like that, but sometimes those can be a little too sharp.

I, too, am a grapefruit spoon officianado for these projects. Someone gave me a couple years ago, and I don't eat grapefruit in that manner, so they sat in a drawer until my mom contracted diverticulitis and I started seeding cucumbers on a regular basis. They are perfect for that, and for cleaning seeds out of cantaloups and similar melons.

BT, how in the world do you come up with your weird ideas? I've never heard of some of the things you post!

buckytom said:
i'm curious urm, cris hasn't spent any time in the big house, has he? (j/k :) )

Bucky!! Did I ever tell you I have been training Fitboxe for almost 2 years now and my left hook and cross are quite deadly?:boxing: :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, come to think about it grapefruit spoon would be quite handy for these things, too... we are not big grapefruit eaters so it never even occured to us to even own one!

lol, both licias.

licia #1. to answer your question, it grows wild, and should be legalized and taxed.

licia numero due. it all depends on your reach. i could just put my glove on your forehead...

buckytom said:
licia numero due. it all depends on your reach. i could just put my glove on your forehead...

Hey, size is not so essential, as long as you can float like a butterfly and sting like a bee....:cool:

lol urm.

lepidoptera and hymenoptera aside, it's all in the footwork. remember, a punch starts in your feet. drive with your legs and back, and then put your shoulder into it... :boxing:

and now back to the original subject: or thereabouts: My little grandson uses a grapefruit spoon to cut and eat his watermelon. There are other uses besides hurting someone!

All you violent people! I've never heard such stuff. But I love the idea of a sharpened spoon for digging through mellons. Sometimes, mellon-balls just arent the right shape. Can you imagine using your sharpened spoon to carve thin, cirved and elegant strips of mellon to use as a garnish over good cottage cheese and lettuce? Sounds wonderful to me.

Oh, and nevermind the Judo and Kuk-Sool-Won that I've trained in. I'm the grappling type. Don't like to hit people. I just choke 'em 'till they tap out. And when your opponant steps in too close, too fast, punches become ineffective.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That sounds like a great idea..off to the second hand store again to see if they have grapefruit spoons :rolleyes: I tossed all of our extra spoons, forks, etc., that didn't match our sets. Shoulda known:ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom