Baked Potato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCook

Senior Cook
This soup is really good, especially on a cold day.

Baked Potato Soup

4 medium baking potatoes
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
6 cups milk
salt/pepper
4 green onions, chopped
10 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream

Bake or microwave potatoes. Cool. Scoop potato out of skins into bite size cubes. Set asisde. In a heavy Dutch oven, melt butter. Add flour, stirring so flour does not clump. Add milk, slowly, while stirring constantly. Reduce heat; stir occasionally, until sauce is thickened. Stir in potatoes, salt/pepper, 2 tbsp. green onion, 1/2 bacon, and 1 cup cheese and heat until cheese is melted. Stir in sour cream; heat until bubbly. Serve with remaining onions, bacon, and cheese.

I loooooooooooooooove baked potato soup!
This one sounds so much like the recipe I'd lost!!
Thank you so much for reminding me that I need to make more!

As it's hot here now (I live in San Diego), I've been making a cold one, with (lots of) leeks, that I got from an Everyday Food magazine, some time ago.

I cook the leeks with the potato in chicken broth, with salt and pepper. Then I puree this in the blender, add a little cream and cool it in the refrigerator. And then I serve it with chopped chives

This is an awesome looking recipe! I`m C&Ping for those (not so distant) days when the temps will drop and warm comfort food will again be craved :)

It looks delicious. I'll have to wait for awhile to make this, as we're going into a stretch of weather in the 90's for awhile, but I will print this for later in the year.

BC

It's hot here, too, but I don't think I will wait. I will just serve it with a big salad and a cool dessert. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Oh how I love baked potaote soup. I get the dry mix though usually if I can't pick some up hot from the store and I feel like it. Too bad its hot out and not winter though.

Potato soup is one of my favs, too. I think this would be great with a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

It's one of the first soups that I remember having as a child.:)

Good

Sounds really good, I love soups!
I will give this a try this weekend

JCook said:
This soup is really good, especially on a cold day.

Baked Potato Soup

4 medium baking potatoes
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
6 cups milk
salt/pepper
4 green onions, chopped
10 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream

Bake or microwave potatoes. Cool. Scoop potato out of skins into bite size cubes. Set asisde. In a heavy Dutch oven, melt butter. Add flour, stirring so flour does not clump. Add milk, slowly, while stirring constantly. Reduce heat; stir occasionally, until sauce is thickened. Stir in potatoes, salt/pepper, 2 tbsp. green onion, 1/2 bacon, and 1 cup cheese and heat until cheese is melted. Stir in sour cream; heat until bubbly. Serve with remaining onions, bacon, and cheese.

I made this for dinner tonight. This morning I baked the potatoes along with an apple crisp. And these are the modifications to the soup I made:

6 baked potatoes
in the melted butter I sauted onions, then celery, then garlic
I didn't have 10 slices of bacon, but I did have a small bag in the freezer of cooked and crumbled smoked bacon, I used 1/2 the small bag, maybe 1 to 2 T.!!
1 t. horseradish
I've tasted it and it does not need the cheese or sour cream, but I may add some sour cream at the last minute:-p.

This soup is very good, bet the original recipe was too!

Bumping this one back up :)
Thanks, JCook, for the recipe! Tomorrow is my mom's birthday and I had decided I want to take her potato soup and some yummy bread so she doesn't have to cook. I found your recipe and am going to make it for her. We're supposed to have heavy snow tonight and tomorrow so this will be great!

Callie, I'm glad you bumped this one up.

JCook, I meant to tell you earlier, I took our leftovers from this soup to my parents & they said that it's the best potato soup they've ever had. Mom asked me when I was making it again!:LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom