Peaches!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Peaches are in season here now, and my husband brought home a peck tonight, set them down on the counter, and said, "Cobbler!"
I said, "How about a crisp?"
So it's going to be one or the other.

The peaches are small, but perfectly ripe and sweet as honey. I think I'll get them sliced and refrigerated, and whatever I don't eat in the process will go in the cobbler/crisp.

Here's the recipe I use...it calls for apples, but peaches or any other stone fruit work.

Apple Crisp

* 3 pounds tart apples
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/3 cup granulated sugar
* 1/3 cup rolled oats
* 4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Peel, core and chop apples, toss in a bowl with lemon juice to prevent darkening. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; stir into apples. Set aside.
In another bowl combine flour, sugar and oats. Cut butter into 8 pieces,and cut butter into flour until mixture looks like crumbs. Stir in nuts.
Butter a 10 X 10-inch baking dish. Spread apples in bottom of baking dish then sprinkle with flour mixture. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes, or until apples are tender and topping is lightly browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I like mine warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Last edited:
I haravested fresh peaches and nectraines this week. I ate a bunch and froze the rest...... So good.......

later

Grill them!!!!

Split them and remove the stone. (leave the skin on). Brush some melted butter on the cut flesh and grill them for about 5 minutes. The actual grillng time will depend on if you are grilling over open flames, a gas grill or a cast iron one in the kitchen. The idea is to get some nice stripes while softening the fruit just a bit.

While they are grilling, blend equal amounts of mascarpone and ricotta cheese with enough lemon zest to flavour. Remove the fruit and spoon the mixture into the centers. Top with chopped candied pecans or walnuts. Drizzle with warmed honey scented with cinnamon oil.

These are a wonderful accompaniment to a cheese course.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom