Canning apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dottie

Assistant Cook
I've been stewing yellow transparent apples with just a spoonful of honey for breakfast every morning, and they're wonderful. I have a tree full of these apples right now, and I'm wondering the best way to can them with a minimum of sweetener, preferably honey, so I can enjoy them for breakfast in the winter. I'd also like to leave the peeling on the apples. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Leave the peels on the apples

Dottie said:
I've been stewing yellow transparent apples with just a spoonful of honey for breakfast every morning, and they're wonderful. I have a tree full of these apples right now, and I'm wondering the best way to can them with a minimum of sweetener, preferably honey, so I can enjoy them for breakfast in the winter. I'd also like to leave the peeling on the apples. Any suggestions?

I made lotsa apple sauce and use this technique. I use the whole apple, minus the stem:rolleyes: . I quarter or slice clean apples into a pot, usually have to add a bit of water to the pot to get things cooking. I cook the stuffings out of the apples, cook and cook and stir. Once everything is very soft, I put the apples through my cone shaped strainer with the cylindral wooden paddle and squish the apples through. The only think left in the strainer is the seed coats, the seed innerds and the skin are so soft they get mixed in the sauce. It makes for a mighty tasty apple sauce.

Also, I only bring perfect apples to the pot, the less perfect ones go to the goats. This way I do not have to cut out bad spots and this speeds things up a lot.

Here's a site that tells about canning apples. According to them, you don't have to add any sweetener at all to the apples. That way, you could add the honey when you get ready to eat them.
I don't know about not peeling the apples...you could try a few that way and see what happens.

Thanks for the information. Let me clarify. I don't want applesauce because I really don't like applesauce, but what I want the apples to remain recognizeable as pieces of apples, not mush, after canning. Thanks for your help.

8 Minute Apples
Start with any amount of apples you want.
Slice into 1 quart measure, layering the apples with 1/4 cup of sugar into an air-tight container.
Keep layering apples and sugar till a large container is filled and then let stand overnight to "cure".
In the morning pack the apple slices TIGHTLY into clean 1 quart jars.
Add as much juice from container as will trickle down.
Tighten lids an water bath for 8 minutes.
Apples will remain white and not shrink if they have been packed tightly. When needed open and treat like fresh apples.
COMMENTS: I have used this recipe for years and it so easy to do.

apples

I preserved some apples with sugar and vinegar.
They taste great with bread and cheese. Or probably also in Meat sandwichs(I am vegetarian).
Vinegar and/or salt also make good preservatives. Also and/or alchol(but there has to be over a certain percentage of alchol, in the preserving drink).
I brought the apple recipe, back to the library, and cant remember exactly what goes into it. But if u like pickles, mabay somebody else here can provide a recipe.
Mel

Dottie said:
Thanks for the information. Let me clarify. I don't want applesauce because I really don't like applesauce, but what I want the apples to remain recognizeable as pieces of apples, not mush, after canning. Thanks for your help.
My mum used to bottle apples just like you said. Cook them with sugar and a little lemon juice, put into large sterilised glass jars, water bath up to the neck for 20 - 25 minutes...and they lasted through until April!

I have canned apples with skins, no sugar. I have a peeler/slicer that I run my apples through. They come out like a spiral, then I cut them vertically with a knife. I have tried packing them in jars raw and putting a light syrup made with apple juice concentrate over them, then canning them. The apples cook down in the canning process so I cook them in either a little water or with a little apple juice, pack them in jars and can as if they were applesauce. They hold their shape quite nicely. I try to use the firmer apples for this, not the ones that turn mushy fast. I can use them in an apple crisp, apple cake, on waffles, cooked cereal, on toast spread with peanut butter, ..... we have a small orchard, mostly apples, so I have spent quite a bit of time finding ways to use apples! Enjoy!

Alena, I used to make a beautiful apple conserve with chopped apples (un-peeled, I think), lots of sweet spices, and currants. I'll see if I can find the recipe, if you are interested. I think it was in my old Joy of Cooking.

Back
Top Bottom