Baking Powder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgiver

Senior Cook
If I would keep my baking powder in the regrigerator would that keep it active longer as opposed to storing it in my hot cupboards? Can any body help me?

I think it might, but it costs like maybe $0.50/can for a year's worth of use. I don't use much at all but keep it in the cupboard. You can test it for activity.

I would not put baking powder in the refrigerator. I use baking powder frequently, mainly for pancakes and corn bread and I use an aluminum free, double acting powder. It is activated by moisture and heat. The frig would provide some moisture, not good for the powder, but the heat in your cupboard is not hot enough to hurt the powder.

The moisture would make it all stick and go yucky. I hardly bake anymore, and mine is quite old, but it still does the business!

Putting it in the fridge will not necessarily make it "wet". It is in a covered can. I don't know that it will extend the life of the product either. If your baking powder is old, test it before using it.

One of the problems with keeping something that shouldn't get wet (like baking powder, spices, etc) in the fridge is that when you take it out in the summer, often beads of "sweat" will form on the outside of the container that can get into the inside and compromise the contents.

Take it out, measure what you need, put it back. How would they get in? I honestly think it is a non-issue.

This is cut and pasted from a website on baking powder...

Storing Your Baking Powder:
Baking powder should be stored at room temperature in a dry place. A cabinet or pantry away from the sink or heat source (such as the stove, direct sunlight), is a perfect place. Do not store baking powder in the refrigerator as it may shorten the shelf life due to condensation that occurs on the can.

I tend to let my baking powder, as well as yeast, expire. I suppose I should use it often enough that it doesn't go to the back of the cabinet. I don't suppose there is any use for it after expiration date.

Back
Top Bottom