Visited My Asian Market!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjs

Sous Chef
Had to go to the 'big city' Tacoma yesterday, so made a stop at our favorite Asian Market, where I always end up spending my kids inheritance...

Since you all are all new friends, that means all new ideas!! So, here is what I picked up - what and how would you do with these goodies?

Baby Clams - having Clam Linguine tonite.
Razor clams - usually make a cocktail or fry them up....
Shiro Miso - thinking of making Hot & Sour soup...
Frog Legs - usually fry these up too...

and for just added treats -
Red Bean Buns
some dried black mushrooms & other kinds

Rice Vermicelli
a bottle of Lee Kum Kee's Honey Garlic - have never bot this before, will be fun to play with.

So, here's hoping I hear a whole new set of ideas for my goodies - old friends can offer some ideas also!! :chef:

cjs, I've never used shiro miso in hot and sour soup. I've used it in miso soup with dashi and seaweed.

Clams with black bean sauce comes to mind ...

Just so you know, though, hot and Sour soup does not contain miso. That would make it taste entirely different. The chinese don't use miso much, if at all.

Shiro miso obviously can be used for miso soup, but you'll also need dashi (they sell it dry granulated at the asian market) or seaweed and bonito.

Shiro miso makes a good base for salad dressing and, combined with mirin and sugar, a nice glaze for grilled salmon.

Oops!! you're both right - it's the black mushrooms I wanted to use in the hot & sour soup. :rolleyes:

had another thot for the razor clams - Clam hash similar to what they serve at Pike Place....oh, so good!

Off the original subject, but...

I remember many, MANY moons ago when I lived in Southern WA (Clark County-Vancouver suburbs) and we used to go up and west to the coast to go clamming.

My GOSH, I didn't know you could eat razors 24-7! LOL

Ciao,

Last edited:
Does the dried mushroom look like shredded black paper? If so, you can make a type of Vietnamese meat out of this (pork, cellophane noodles, dried mushrooms, egg, shrimp). Let me know if you need directions. You can also put it in egg rolls and a couple other Vietnamese dishes I like, though you need specialty stuff for the rest.

"(pork, cellophane noodles, dried mushrooms, egg, shrimp" now that sounds like something fun to play with!!

Ideas don't have to be Asian style - I just happened to pick all these goodies up there...

SteveA - I grew up digging Razor Clams at Copalis Beach. Oh we had fun!! But Copalis is just ruined now.

Oh, dear. I've always been friends with my Asian market owners. In Daytona it was a Korean couple, as it is in Madison. In Dubuque it is a Vietnamese couple. As I was going through the store, stocking up for a few months, the Vietnamese gentleman looked at Hubby and said, "She knows to buy that (and pointed at the brand of soy sauce I bought) and that (pointed at some of the noodles); you are a lucky man. Hubby just smiled and said, "Yes, I am." I wish people around here liked Asian cuisine more. You know, I think I'll do Vietnamese style roll ups the next dinner party, while I have mint, basil, and cilantro. Maybe no one will like it!

Armed with a ni hou (hello in Taiwanese, but understood through most dialects) a xi xi ni (she-she-nee; thank you) and Tsai jian (goodbye) I can and do spend hours and days shopping in Chinatown.

I've visited them across the world. One thing for certain, they're ALL intriguing! And oddly enough (yet perhaps foolishly), I've never felt unsafe.

Ciao,

I was watching a programme on Gourmet Channel last night ( I think it's only available in Spanish). Sumito Estévez, a phenomenally talented local chef, made a timbale with aubergines/zucchini, stuffed with chicken, and bathed with a roasted red pepper sauce - which included a healthy dose of Tau Si - fermented black beans.
Now THAT would give me an excellent excuse to visit the Chinese market tomorrow morning!

Hi Cjs! My family is in Wa and I remember the "Tacoma Aroma" well! :sick:

I just love asian food especially Thai & Japanese cuisine! Yummy!!!

I have to laugh; I, too have been to Asian markets all around the country. In Hawaii, when I'd hit China Town, it was a laugh (I'm very tall and blonde). I'd walk around a head and shoulders above everyone who were craning their necks to stare at me. When we were on the road we were going to Vancouver. At the border we were asked the purpose of our visit to Canada. We said the simple truth -- that we were going for Chinese food. The guard was NOT amused. So we finally said "tourism" and were allowed into the country. But really, we WERE going for Chinese food! We'd heard that fair city had a great China town and we were going for lunch & to shop in the Asian groceries. One lovely surprise of those on the road years was Garden City, Kansas. It is a town that has one of the biggest beef feed lots & slaughter houses in the country. Here you are, in a very small town in the middle of nowhere, but there is a large Vietnamese population. I stocked up on Asian foods (I love Vietnamese hot sauce, and buy noodles and rice paper whenever I see a Vietnamese store). As we always did, we stopped at the town's museum. The biggest surprise was there is a wonderful zoo there. All the signs are in English and Spanish (to be expected now) -- and Vietnamese! We also happened to catch a migration of Monarch butterflies there.

Yes, many, if not most, of my friends are "afraid" to go to these Asian markets. I'm not sure why. Yes, it looks and mostly smells different from our sanitary mega mart grocery experience. I always tell them to pick me up on their way, and I'll take them through and give them a "tour". Which sauces are the best for what. How to cook noodles that may not have instructions in English. What that odd-looking vegetable is. Explain the different curry mixes and different kinds of rice. No, do NOT buy hot lime pickle (I do all the time, but most of my freinds around here would simply die if they tried it).

I think one of the most fun things I've ever done was take a Pakistani man to my local spice merchant. He would describe a spice to me, and I'd pick it out for him.

Food can be an adventure!

And, yes, I did go to Canada to have Chinese lunch. Is that so weird?

"And, yes, I did go to Canada to have Chinese lunch. Is that so weird?"
not in the least bit to me!! :)

thank you Claire, we're just starting our 'road trips' and I've added your entire post to my "Places to Go" folder.

I have not checked out the ethnic recipes on this site yet for Asian ideas, better go do that soon....

Well the whole idea was so tempting that I went to the Chinese market this morning. What an incredible place!! All sorts of cabbages, beans, chinese marrow, fresh tofu, freshly butchered pork, fresh bamboo shoots, bitter melon, etc...
Then in the grocery store, I couldn't resist, and came out with
Tau Si - fermented black beans
Peanut oil ( Oh glorious peanut oil!)
Wild Mountain Pickled chillies ( well I had to buy that, didn't I?)
Cloud Ear fungus
There were rows and rows of evil-looking hot sauces, but I resolutely refused to be tempted.
I might give in next week, though!

Clive,

I often go to that town '2 hrs away.' A stop at the Asian grocery is required. It's just that there's nothing HERE! The one Asian store that did exist and has subsequently closed, never carried food items anyway.

Now if I could only find someone to make me pancit!

Ciao,

Hi Steve A,
Maybe you could find an online shop. I clicked on one of the adverts at the top of the DC site and it was the "Japan Centre" in London. I live in Spain and they'll even ship things here. Seeing as the States is so advanced as regards the Web, I bet you could find a good supplier where you are.
I'm about to move out to a rural area soon and I'm already building up a bank of online shops that will be able to ship me proper Italian risotto rice and so on.

Claire said:
When we were on the road we were going to Vancouver. At the border we were asked the purpose of our visit to Canada. We said the simple truth -- that we were going for Chinese food. The guard was NOT amused. So we finally said "tourism" and were allowed into the country. But really, we WERE going for Chinese food! We'd heard that fair city had a great China town and we were going for lunch & to shop in the Asian groceries.

Vancouver has probably the best dim sum that I've had in North America. Most of their dim sum is prepared in the Hong Kong style. It was better than the stuff I've had in SF, LA, NYC, or Honolulu.

Back
Top Bottom