Date chiffon pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jan Kieta

Assistant Cook
Hey there - I'm new to this site. Looking forward to reading some yummy recipes .....and, searching your brains for ones that I wish my mom had given me.

The date chiffon pie with a sesame pie crust was my favorite 'birthday cake' for many, many years. Mom passed on without passing it to me (I asked!!).

It was not a frozen pie -- just a light and creamy filling. It had chopped dates in the filling - which was a light beige in color. The crust had toasted sesame seeds in it.

It was diviine. How I wish I had the recipe. Anyone out there that can help me.

Thanks.

Welcome, Jan - WOW, that sounds awesome! Unfortunately I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure someone will find it for you! It sounds a bit Middle Eastern, with the dates and sesame seeds.

date chiffon pie

Marmalady -- cute name -- thanks for the welcome.

No - I do not think it is Middle Eastern,,,,but, a good assumption - with the dates.

My mom was Italian - dad was Irish -- all from Pittsburgh, Pa. Mom just liked to bake and experimented with new recipes.:chef:

As I am 59 -- she started to make this pie in the late 50's. Think that was pretty popular then -- those refrigerator (icebox pies) pies, etc.

I certainly hope someone can help me as I've looked long and hard for this one. There's another recipe I will ask ya'll to help me with as well......but, another night and time. Been a long day.

Thanks for welcome.

Jan

Here is a recipe from one of my 60's cookbooks
(Farm Journal's "Cooking for Company")

Meringue Crunch Pie
(unusual pie - filling and crust in one)

3 egg whites, at room temperature
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
10 dates, cut up
1 Tbsp. flour
1 c. pecans, chopped
10 macaroon cookies, crumbled

Beat egg whites until foamy.
Sift together sugar, bp & salt. Gradually beat into egg whites to make a stiff meringue.
Cut dates into flour so pieces won't stick together. Mix in nuts and macaroon cookie crumbs, then gently fold in meringue. Pour into 9" buttered pie pan; bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) for 30 minutes.

(Perhaps you could make a crust with sesame seeds and pour this into it)

date chiffon pie

jkath -- hey, that one sounds great. In fact, it resembles another pie my mom used to make ---- a popular one, I think. The crust is made with beaten egg whites, Ritz crackers and finely chopped pecans. After it's baked, the filling is make with chopped chocolate and diced bananas mixed into Cool Whip. A quick and delicious pie that everyone ALWAYS likes.

Funny, haven't thought about that one in years. I need to make it soon!!!

Thanks again. Have a great day.

Jan:rolleyes:

date chiffon pie

Shunka ---- EUREKA!!!! --- Good Job!! In fact, amazing job.

That's it -- the Open Sesame Pie. As soon as I saw that name, I remembered that what Mom used to call it. And, as I read the recipe, I could see her standing on a little foot stool (she was a little one) over the stove, stirring that gelatin. Then, the big finale was the sprinkling of the freshly grated nutmeg.

Oh joy!!! I can't wait to make it......

Thank you - thank you - thank --- and, thank the rest of you.

jkath -- I will find the other recipe with the bananas and choc and post it. It's a good summer dessert.

OK -- off to make dinner. Thanks again, gals.

Jan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom