Favorite Helpful Kitchen Hints

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know it sounds obvious, but I never did this until my mother showed me how much better it is:

When peeling/dealing with ingredients of any sort, where you'll remove and discard some of it, have a plastic bag ready to accept the refuse. Toss it in and throw it out/compost/whatever it. It makes cleaning veggies *so much easier*, especially potatoes. :) I do it all the time now.

Peeling hard boiled eggs can be a real chore sometimes. To make it easier, as soon as the eggs finish cooking, drain them and then shake them around in the pan to crack the shells. Cover them with ice cold water and let them sit for a few minutes. Drain and then peel. The ice water will shrink the egg away from the peel and the peel will come right off!

Before grating lemons/oranges for zest,wrap cling film around the grater,it' a lot quicker to clean after .

I'll have to question this one :LOL: After one swipe you have broken the cling wrap and you still have grating to do, hence, you will still have to get your grater dirty.

I don't know if I agree with this hint/tip. :chef: JMHO though ;)

I'll have to question this one :LOL: After one swipe you have broken the cling wrap and you still have grating to do, hence, you will still have to get your grater dirty.

I don't know if I agree with this hint/tip. :chef: JMHO though ;)

After you have finished zesting ,unwrap the cling wrap and all zest comes a away with it, saving the hassle of trying to clean in between the small sharp bits. Our pasty chefs use it all the time,try it and see.

Instead of using so much lighter fluid to get my grill lit, I save old cardboard egg containers and put charcoal in the egg cups. Works great to get the flame going.

I like the celery leaves in the dehydrator tip - thats very useful, thanks!

Before grating lemons/oranges for zest,wrap cling film around the grater,it' a lot quicker to clean after .
I have not used this trick myself, but I have seen it in action. It does work.

When measuring something sticky like peanut butter or honey, first wipe a light film of vegi oil in the measuring cup. The peanut butter or honey or whatever will now slide right out.

I have not used this trick myself, but I have seen it in action. It does work.

When measuring something sticky like peanut butter or honey, first wipe a light film of vegi oil in the measuring cup. The peanut butter or honey or whatever will now slide right out.

Thanks GB and really? I guess the picture I have in my head is all wrong. Surely I need to grate a lemon tonight - I'll go home and try it!

Can't wait to test it!

crono, you stole my tip. :) I always have a "refuse bag" handy. I use a bag from veggies, or the styrofoam container from meat, or whatever. My trash can is across my (admittedly small) kitchen, and it saves me from having to carry veggie peels or garlic skins across the room, invariably leaving a trail of trash in my wake.

What I really want is one of those magical "trash holes" cooking show hosts have. Maybe one day.

Use baking soda on chopping boards to remove the smell of onions and garlic. Sprinkle on baking soda, scrub with a damp sponge and rinse clean.

hi every one,
some times it is good to put your sponges in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, this is kind of an autoclave process and it kills the bacteria and other microorganisms.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom