Question about cooking onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmillls45

Assistant Cook
I was wondering if it was safe to start cooking onions, garlic, etc in oil before I add the chicken to brown it.

Thanks
Chris

I usually do them separately, because the onions and garlic need to cook at a lower temperature than the chicken. I like to sear the chicken quickly, so it will stay juicey, while the onions and garlic need to be sweated slowly.

I usually add onions and garlic first, then remove them so they dont get too browned, and then add my chicken or whatever I am cooking, then return the onions and garlic to the pan with the chicken or whatever your making.

Once you add the chicken, it should lower the pan temp enough to slow the cooking process. Not to mention, it will help build your layers of flavor with the bird and pan sauce(if applicable).

does that mean you sautee the onion garlic in low heat
then add chicken and cook in high heat?

fawn said:
does that mean you sautee the onion garlic in low heat
then add chicken and cook in high heat?

No, you can still saute the onions and garlic on medium to medium-high heat.

A lot of it I think also depends on the recipe. For instance, if I was making a braised chicken dish such as Coq au Vin or a Roman style dish I would definitely brown the chicken first because if you're using the same pan to braise in, you won't get that same color on the chicken if you try to sear it after you've sauteed the onion and garlic. If I'm making something like a pasta or stir fry it won't matter as much.

I agree with what most have said; it vastly depends on what you are cooking, and if you want the onions brown, what size the meat is going to be cut (a stir fry is a lot different that something that will have big chunks of meat or bone-in pieces of poultry).

The main thing is that you're unlikely to create a real disaster unless your trying to absolutely re-create a specific recipe. In which case, you follow the recipe. I've occasionally over-browned garlic and/or onions (or for that, dried chilies/flakes) for what my intention was, and it just changed the flavor, but just made it different, not bad.

Wow - how do you like your onions, Id ask...
For example, if you're doing a stir-fry sort of recipe, I'd say you could add them almost together.
If you want a rich, caramelised sauce, I'd sweat the onions first, for about 15 minutes, then add the garlic, then add the chicken and some liquid..
Or perhaps I'd zap the onions & garlic together in the blender, quick fry for a few minutes then add the chicken...
Or I might just salt the chicken, cook it in my favourite oil/butter, set it aside then cook the onions & garlic in the same oil...
Is your meat in big pieces, or small pieces, or what?

So many combinations,so many winners!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom