Forgotten Veg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef_Jen

Sous Chef
Well those who know me know i love threads like this! it makes you think of things that you wouldnt have thought of before..

So my question today... What do you think is an underused Veg. I mean we all go out to eat and we see Carrot Broc. Peas Etc..

So lets list of some other veggies that will maybe make us think the next time we go to make something!

For me its the
Turnip
Parsnip
Cerleric

As I was reading this thread I had one in mind, but you mentioned it already Jen. It is Celery Root. Man I love that stuff, but most non-foodie types have no idea what it is.

I like it just about any way you can think of. A favorite of mine is roasted with other root veggies like parsnip, sweet potato, and others. Sprinkle some herbs in there with some olive oil and salt. Oh and don't forget the garlic. I am getting hungry.

How about broccolini (a.k.a. Aspiration), a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale.

I like eggplant, especially the Japanese variety, marinated and grilled.

Chef_Jen said:
What do you think is an underused Veg. I mean we all go out to eat and we see Carrot Broc. Peas Etc..

Well who else to ask but me???:LOL:

Salsify.
Kohlrabi.
Mooli radish.
Artichokes.
Snap peas or mangetouts.
Beetroot.
Marrow/pumpkin/squash...

Salsify is definitely a strange thingie. So subtle, so elusive - and hardly even known.
Kohlrabi I discovered about a year ago when one of the wise guys in the Farmers Market said " OI! Professer! Get a load o this!"
and put a kilo of kohlrabi in my bag.
Mooli radish. Those huge, long, white radishes so popular in Oriental food, yet frequently overlooked as a peppery alternative for salad dishes.
Artichokes. I think they might actually be my favourite vegetable at the moment. The more Italian recipes I see, the more I like them.
Snap peas. Two seconds stirfried in some real Chinese peanut oil, a little sea salt, oh glory...
Beetroot. Unfortunately, a much maligned source of colour and sweetness! Peel and zap one in the blender with a dose of fresh orange juice. MMMM! Make some spicy curry with tomatoes and tamarind. All I ever seem to see is pickled beetroot and Borscht.
Marrow/Pumpkin/Squash. I feel we've got into a rut with these. Pumpkin Pie, Baked Marrow, Roasted Squash - - time for some wild and wonderful thoughts! How about Marrow and Ginger Ice cream, anyone? Mix some pumpkin with earthy spices and lentils.Make some Squash Balls ( HA!) with chickpea flour and yoghurt - gently fry and serve with a yoghurt/dill sauce.

How about Brussels sprouts? They're actually good if cooked right. I like to steam them until just fork tender, then devil them with butter and Dijon mustard.

Hardly anyone eats Choko any more, more's the pity! Americans might know it as Chayote. It's a fairly bland vegetable, not unlike a patty-pan squash in flavour and texture, but it's far more versatile when used as a substitute for other things, like apples, or pears! It goes wonderfully well in pickles, too. I like it boiled, then served with lashings of butter, and a sprinkle of pepper, but it's nice with a white sauce, too.

Parsnips are definitely under-rated, too. I love them baked, but they can also be used in sweet dishes.

Arrowroot. Not many people have tried this one, but it's not unlike potato, except that it takes on the flavour of anything it's cooked with. A good padder-outer, but nice baked like a potato.

Squash. NOT pumpkin, but pattypan squash, marrows, spaghetti squash etc. These days you only see the pattypans, but there are much larger varieties. In my long-past childhood, we often had these stuffed and baked.

Hardly ever mentioned in cooking forums are the Chinese veges - bok choy, pak choy, tatsoi, choy sum, Chinese broccoli, kangkong and many more. Here in Australia they are widely popular and readily available, and I grow some of them for use in stews, stirfries, or raw in salads etc.

Beetroot - doesn't anybody else use them as a baked vege, or just boiled as an ordinary vege? Or does everybody have to have them pickled? They are SO nice when served with a white sauce.

Pumpkin is one vegetable that ought to be banned from the planet. Turnip is another.

Daisy...ban pumpkin???:) I had the most wonderful pumpkin soup tonight, with a little curry added with the onion, finished with coconut milk and sprinkled with coriander. I adore baked spiced pumpkin with a roast of beef, and muffins made from the leftovers next day. Roast pumpkin provides the sweetness ( along with kumara) in my roasted vegetable and blue cheese tarts. Plus one of my pooches goes crazy for it!! lolol

How many of you use Jerusalem Artichokes these days? And what is Swede called in other countries...that round yellowish/purple root vege. Lovely mashed with heaps of pepper and butter.

another one on the beet (beetroot) wagon.

i love them just boiled and peeled and sliced, or grated with fresh horseradish.

they are great for kids because the juice is practically like ink, and can color everything from mashed potatoes to pasta to hard boiled eggs, to your lips and tongue, shirt, and the dining room walls and carpet... :)

I,m a fan of the root veggies, roasted, mashed, hashed, gratined etc. THings like parsnips surround a roast, pich up the juices, add sweetness, mellow out...so good! and the dark leafy greens...chard, collards, turnip greens...outrageously wonderful, braised, sauteeded, used in soups, etc! yum

Kohlrabi & Kale.

Unless I grow it myself, the only market that seems to carry Kohlrabi around here is "Whole Foods" - & the closest ones in either direction are a good hour+ away. I like this vegetable both raw sliced as a dipper, cubed & cooked in a cream or cheese sauce, curry, or soup, or cooked & mashed with a little butter.

And Kale - well, talk about "good & good for you"!! I use it in soups, mixed cooked greens, pasta dishes, etc. If grown myself, the very young baby leaves are also great in salads. Here in Virginia I'm always surprised to see folks bagging up greens mixtures of collards, turnip greens, & mustard greens, but leaving poor old Kale alone. I guess it's not really considered a "southern" green since it really likes the cold weather.

In the winter, the Scottish diet used to rely heavily on root vegetables, as they were the only ones to survive our cold, wet winters. Brussel sprouts, cabbages were also OK... Every Scottish housewife uses leeks, onions, carrots swede turnip (close to rutabaga), parsnips.

Rumbledethumps
Scotch Broth
Lentil Soup
Stews and casseroles
Neeps n tatties

YUM:)

Radicchio!!

I had never even heard of this wonderful vegetable until I came to Italy, and it was like a revelation when Cristiano made me a Risotto al radicchio for the first time. Now I mastered the art of this risotto recipe myself, but I found so many delicious uses for them... most recently we even made a jam with it, it is wonderful paired with some piquant cheeses!!

cliveb said:
Salsify.
Kohlrabi.
Mooli radish.
Artichokes.
Snap peas or mangetouts.
Beetroot.
Marrow/pumpkin/squash...
Great list! I had to look up "Salsify" -- does the root really taste like an oyster when cooked??!
"Mooli radish" is known as daikon around here - I like to marinate daikon and carrots sticks in rice vinegar, sugar, pinch of salt.

I don't think anyone has mentioned broccoli rabe - a.k.a. rape. I think it's better than spinach, collard greens, mustard greens, kale... and I like all of those.
snow peas

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom