How does it feel to sleep on a camp/army cot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anticuchos

Assistant Cook
How does it feel to sleep on a camp/army cot? Any campers here? Or people who have been in the service? That thin layer of polyester with an inch or two padding any good for sleeping? Any back pain or joint pain? Especially those who have been sleeping in one throughout their service.

All I can say is, it beats sleeping on the ground.
My great-aunt used to have family get-togethers, and she'd put army cots on the front screened-in porch for us kids. Of course it didn't matter to us...kids can sleep anywhere.
As an adult, I did a lot of camping. We didn't have a fancy rig...just a tent and sleeping bags. Inevitably, we'd end up with a rock or tree root under us. I'd have gladly slept on an army cot.

Ditto what Constance said. Better than the ground and the inevitable rock or root digging into your back.:)

It all depends on what kind of sleeper you are, but again to echo what the others said, it is better than sleeping on the ground.

I can sleep pretty much anywhere so the cots are fine for me. I have a feeling my wife, who is pretty picky about where she sleeps (but has been a trooper and slept in some very uncomfortable places with/for me) would be able to deal with it, but not for more than a few nights at most.

I did my fair share of camping (military and Girl Scout leader) but now my idea of camping is in a hotel that closes it's room service at 10pm.:LOL:

I'm with Constance. The only advantage of sleeping on a military cot is that it does get you out of the damp. I don't know of anyone who would choose to sleep on one for more than a camping trip (or military assignment). It won't kill you, it won't even make any lasting problems. (My husband was in Vietnam, my nephew is going on his second Iraq deployement, and was at GITMO). As for me, we used excess military equipment for camping, and there was no polyester padding, it was just canvas and metal or wood. We had scratchy GI-issue blankets as well. It was part of the camping experience.

It stinks for us larger framed individuals. The one time I did, I was a wee bit longer then the cot, and unless I slept on my side, was wider then the frame. If I was on my back/stomach, my shoulders (both) were outside the frame.

I used to be an avid camper and backpacker when I was younger and active in the Boy Scouts. There's a remarkable sleeping pad out of the market called a Therm-a-Rest pad. It's self-inflatable, weighs ounces, and keeps you relatively comfortable and warm.

We have an airmatress for camping. Inflate it then throw down the sleeping bag unzipped and spread out. IMO that's the most comfortable option for camping/sleeping in a tent.

AllenMI said:
There's a remarkable sleeping pad out of the market called a Therm-a-Rest pad. It's self-inflatable, weighs ounces, and keeps you relatively comfortable and warm.
That is what we use Allen. We are short so we use the 3/4 size ones. They really are great, but can be a bit expensive.

Big Dog, I am tall, very broad shouldered, and not exactly slim. I'm with you. On top of that, you're writing from a town where I have friends. If your him or her, I'm going to crack up. Thank heaven, I haven't had to sleep on one since I was a teenager, and it wasn't fun then. Like I said, it's dryer than sleeping on the ground, but I'd go with state of the art if I ever camped again. I do NOT plan on camping again, period. I've spent many years camping and thoroughly enjoyed it, and think all young people should at least try it. But I'm fiftiesh, hubby is sixtiesh, and as soon as our much beloved doggie goes to doggie heaven, our camping is going to be in hotel roooms with room service, cabs, and restaurants. Lots of champagne (Oh, ok, even when we were in a canvas tent there was champagne!).

Back
Top Bottom