ISO Philly CheeseSteak recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing magical to the ingredients or the technique. Just onions sauteed, very thinly sliced knuckle, shoulder, chuck or bottom round, and provolone cheese on a sub roll. You can add sauteed mushrooms and green peppers if you like and substitute cheez whiz or any other cheese for the provolone if you wish.

Thanks, Aurora!

So we're just talking about a blue-collar version of steak and brie? That I can manage!

Yes, the cheaper cuts of meat are just fine for cheesesteaks since they are so thinly cut. Cheaper cuts have lots of fat and flavor.

If you are cutting your own meat from a roast you will find that if you partially freeze the roast before slicing that the slicing will go better. Meat slicers are the best way to get real thin slices so you may want to ask your butcher to slice the meat for you.

Sorry, but I cannot relate to brie on a cheesesteak since I'm a blue collar at heart.

Definitely in favor of cheaper cuts -- couldn't agree more about flavor!

I'm blue enough as well, just happened to first be introduced to the brie version and that's all I've ever really tried. Was an easy and quick meal for one back in my single days, starting, as you suggest, with a bit of frozen steak. Plunk a generous amount of butter in the pan, stir the steak slices around just enough to get them hot (but still rare for folk like me), then plunk on top some slices of brie and let those melt a wee bit before sliding it all onto one's Bread Of Choice. Salt. Lots of fresh pepper. Bloody yummy.

Give it a try if you like the sour bite of brie and let me know!

Thanks again, Aurora.

One of my favorite things!

I use "Steak Eze" frozen meat portions. I first saute sliced onions, green peppers and mushrooms in a tiny bit of canola oil - of course season the veggies. When they soften add the frozen meat portions and season first one side then the other with salt, pepper, a bit of Worchestershire sauce and any other of your favorite flavors.

Meanwhile slice outdoor rolls in half, butter and broil until lightly browned. Turn off the broiler, add sliced provelone cheese to one side, close the oven door and wait a minute or two until cheese is melted.

Turn portions and cook until done. Using tongs shape to match the rolls.

Remove the rolls from the oven, plate and add veggies and meat. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom