Extra large eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
I've thought about using some of Ina Garten's baking recipes, but she always uses extra large eggs. I haven't seen anyone else do this, and I never buy them. How should I compensate for this?

Thanks Aunt Dot. I'm going to make the coconut madeleines. She calls for 3 x-large so I suppose I will use 4 large. I wish she didn't do that. Nobody else does and it confuses the issue for me. I like to use large eggs.

Licia, I'm just the opposite, I always use X-L eggs and just make an adjustment for most recipes.

Not really, I just got used to it. Unless I went to the store myself, whoever always came back with X-L eggs, so I just adapted...now, I'm too old to change back :)

licia said:
Thanks Aunt Dot. I'm going to make the coconut madeleines. She calls for 3 x-large so I suppose I will use 4 large. I wish she didn't do that. Nobody else does and it confuses the issue for me. I like to use large eggs.
Yes, other people do it! and other books, mine included, call for extra large eggs.

Extra large eggs actually used to be just "large" but commercially raised eggs are smaller than free range eggs, and so probably had to be re-sized. That paved the way for the catefory of "extra-large." In fact, that's the only size I ever buy or use! :)

Back
Top Bottom