Crispy Blue Pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
When I was younger my grandmother use to make pickles that were very crispy and sweet they had a blueish color to them . She pasted away when i was young , so I didn't get the chance to get her receipe. Would anybody know what they were called and how to make them. Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry I do not have a clue. They sound good tho. Try looking in some pickle books as there are so many varieties around. Perhaps the blue color was from the variety of cucumber she used.

For some reason, dill pickles with garlic in them just turn that color sometimes. I don't have a good reliable recipe for dill pickles, but I'm sure someone here does.

The "blueish color" probably came from a mineral - either in the water or in the cooking utensils (or if she was using old zinc canning lids), the type of salt she used (iodized table salt instead of canning salt), it could have come from spices, or as Constance noted garlic is prone to do this. Generally, having your pickles turn blue is something you want to avoid.

Tell us a little more about the pickles ... how big were they, were they whole or sliced, etc. They could have been sweet gherkins (small whole pickles), bread & butter (slices), etc.

I bet if we know a little more about the pickle someone can help you find a suitable recipe!

no garlic in them, very sweet, and cut into spears. I have since talk with my mother and sister and they think it might be called 13 days pickles and the blue color is from a spice that turns them that color, they couldn't at the time remember the spice name other then it started with an A. So the search goes on. thanks all

Heres something you might enjoy - *tested*
14-DAY SWEET PICKLES
Yield: About 5 to 9 pints

4 lb pickling cucumbers* (2- to 5-inch)
3/4 cup canning or pickling salt (separated in thirds)
2 tsp. celery seed
2 tbsp. mixed pickling spices
5 1/2 cup sugar
4 cups vinegar (5 percent acidity)

* Can be canned whole, in strips, or in slices. If packed whole, use cucumbers of uniform size.

Procedure:
Wash cucumbers.
Cut 1/16-inch slice off blossom end and discard, but leave 1/4-inch of stem attached.
Place whole cucumbers in suitable 1-gallon container.
Add 1/4 cup canning or pickling salt to 2 quarts water and bring to a boil.
Pour over cucumbers.
Add suitable cover and weight.
Place clean towel over container and keep the temperature at about 70 degrees F.

On the third and fifth days, drain salt water and discard.
Rinse cucumbers and rescald cover and weight.
Return cucumbers to container.
Add 1/4 cup salt to 2 quarts fresh water and boil.
Pour over cucumbers.
Replace cover and weight, and re-cover with clean towel.

On the seventh day, drain salt water and discard.
Rinse cucumbers and rescald containers, cover, and weight.
Slice or strip cucumbers, if desired, and return to container.
Place celery seed and pickling spices in small cheesecloth bag.
Combine 2 cups sugar and 4 cups vinegar in a saucepan.
Add spice bag, bring to a boil and pour pickling solution over cucumbers.
Add cover and weight, and re-cover with clean towel.

On each of the next six days, drain syrup and spice bag and save.
Add 1/2-cup sugar each day and bring to a boil in a saucepan.
Remove cucumbers and rinse.
Scald container, cover, and weight daily.
Return cucumbers to container, add boiled syrup, cover, weight, and re-cover with towel.

On the 14th day, drain syrup into saucepan.
Fill sterile pint jars (for more information see "Jars and Lids") or clean quart jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
Add 1/2 cup sugar to syrup and bring to boil.
Remove spice bag.
Pour hot syrup over cucumbers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
Adjust lids and process according to the recommendations in Table 1 or use low-temperature pasteurization treatment. (For more information see "Low-Temperature Pasteurization Treatment".) Table 1.
Recommended process time for 14-day Sweet Pickles in a simmering hot-water canner at 170 to 180 degrees

Talk about being yanked back into childhood! A very dear family friend made those same pickles! What a treat! My mother did no canning or preserving so these were precious to me and occasionally I would come into possession of a jar. I once made potato salad and used them (chopped). The salad turned out so wonderfully I shared it with my neighbor. Found out later she couldn't figure out what the "blue" stuff was and picked it all out before eating the salad!:ROFLMAO:

Thanks very much for the recipe Chef Jen!

wen you add the green food coloring to the lime pickles the pickles will be a blueish color. It depends on how much coloring you put in.

Have you located the recipe for the pickles you asked about in 2006? If not, I think the recipe I have from my grandmother might be the one you wanted.

These are not blue but they are tasty!

Wegman's carries them.

Sechler's Pickles, Sweet Dill Strip, Candied

We also have a local brand called Bell-View that has candied dill strips. Smuckers used to make them back in the 70's. None of them are as good as the homemade 14 day pickles but they come close!

Here are two recipes, very similar.

These pickles are a lot of work but they are worth it.

We always made them in chunks and were never allowed to open a jar before Thanksgiving.

If you see any mold or scum on the top of the liquid don't get discouraged, skim it off and keep on going!

My sister adds bright green food coloring to hers but, we always left them plain.

I am old and lazy so now I buy a jar when I need a fix! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

[FONT=&quot]14 Day Sweet pickles[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 gallons cucumbers
3 plus tbsp. alum, divided
8 c. sugar, divided
Water
2 c. salt
6 c. vinegar
1/2 c. pickling spice
Gauze[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wash and prepare cucumbers as desired for pickles (whole, sliced, etc.). Place cucumbers in a glass or ceramic bowl or crock (non-metallic). Make brine of 1 gallon water and the salt. Bring solution to a boil and pour over cucumbers. Cover with paper towels. Let stand, stirring daily.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DAY 9: Drain and rinse cucumbers. Clean the crock or bowl and replace the cucumbers inside. Make a new solution of one gallon of water and 1 heaping tablespoon of alum. Bring this to a boil and pour over cucumbers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DAY 10: Same as Day 9.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DAY 11: Same as Day 9.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DAY 12: Drain and rinse cucumbers. Clean the crock or bowl and replace the cucumbers inside. Cut a square of gauze and bundle the pickling spice inside by tying the ends. Heat the vinegar with 5 cups of sugar and the pickling spice bundle until boiling. Pour syrup, including the spice packet, into the cucumber crock.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DAY 13: Drain cucumbers, retaining vinegar syrup and spice packet. Replace the cucumbers inside the crock. Reheat the vinegar syrup with 2 cups of additional sugar and the pickling spice bundle until boiling. Pour syrup, including the spice packet, into the cucumber crock.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DAY 14: Drain cucumbers, retaining vinegar syrup and spice packet. Wash canning jars and pack cucumbers inside warm jars. Re-heat the vinegar syrup with 1 cup of additional sugar and the pickling spice bundle until boiling. Discard the spice bundle. Pour syrup into the cucumber jars, leaving 1/2 inch air space. Seal jars and boil them in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Icicle Pickles[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8 quarts medium sized cucumbers, sliced into long spears. Combine one gallon of boiling water with two cups of salt. Pour over the cucumbers and let stand for one week. Stir every morning. At the end of the week drain them and let them stand in clear water for 24 hours. Drain them again. Cover with one gallon boiling water with one heaping teaspoon of alum added. Let stand twenty four hours and drain. Boil together two and a half quarts of vinegar, eights pints of sugar and a handful of mixed pickling spices. Pour over the pickles. For the next four days drain off syrup and boil. Pour hot syrup back onto pickles. On the fourth day pack pickles in hot sterilized jars and pour hot syrup over them and seal.[/FONT]

I looking for same recipe

I’m looking for this recipe for about 20+ years. Living in upstate ny all my life, and have not been able to find it. I was wondering if you have for the recipe yet?

Have you located the recipe for the pickles you asked about in 2006? If not, I think the recipe I have from my grandmother might be the one you wanted.
Will you be willing to share it with me. I have bought 25 canning pickle recipe books. And still not found it ?. Thank you

I’m looking for this recipe for about 20+ years. Living in upstate ny all my life, and have not been able to find it. I was wondering if you have for the recipe yet?
Will you be willing to share it with me. I have bought 25 canning pickle recipe books. And still not found it [emoji17]. Thank you
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

I wanted to mention that neither of the posters you responded to have been here in at least 10 years, so you're not likely to get an answer from them. Sorry about that.

Back
Top Bottom