Angus beef is superior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
I've grilled too many steaks not to be totally convinced that angus beef is superior. At least here in Texas. I simply couldn't be more pleased with the last four rib-eyes I've grilled, unless they were free. Every bite is, wow! They have more flavor and are far more tender than anything else I've bought. They are higher priced, but I don't care. On sale in the Dallas area, they are $7 a pound. And if you're new to grillin' steaks, buy your steaks at least an inch thick. If you marinade, you needn't do so longer than one hour. Get your grill 425, or upwards and sear, covered, each side one minute, then continue cooking. Turn with tongs, don't pierce the steak. A medium rare steak, at one inch thick, should take about 7-8 minutes. I can cook a steak with a red center with no blood on the plate. And the real secret? Let the steaks rest for five minutes before serving. Salt 'n pepper 'n eat. It doesn't get better for me. Happy grillin'
Phil

I dispute that! The BEST steaks are Aberdeen Angus (where do you think the Texan herds got their breeding bulls from?!!!) and are just wonderful meat!:) :cool: The cost of steaks in the UK would bring tears to your eyes - yours appear cheap by comparison!

Herferd or Alberta Blue Blood are superiour products. the cattle you have in TX are great, but can vary in consistancy. Of course a ribyeye should always be wow, it is the best for the wow factor do to all the yummy fat and marbeling....man I want a steak now.

A good steak can always be a big wow. Just don't mess up good beef with a marinade.

I was just asking Gretchen as I have not yet had the pleasure of tasting Kobe. I was just putting it out there to see what others though in comparison to the others already mentioned.

The only times I've have had Kobe was when I was living in Holland and the price was AWESOME compared to the U.S.

the flavor wasn't all I was thinking it was cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong it was darn good, but I can't see paying the huige fees here for it. The texture was buttery soft though, but not too unlike the dry aged beef you can get at Peter Lugers. Kobe=$50 Hamburger...that is just rediculous. I think it is all the hype you hear then it can be an anticlimax when you actually get to try it, jmo.

I like to buy steak from a farmer at the Greenmarket, Hawthorn Valley Farms, that raise everything (animal and vegetable) biodynamically. It's VERY expensive, ($17.95 per pound for Porterhouse) but I know they are grass fed, well treated, and DEEE Licious! Don't have them on a regular basis, either! :ermm:

As a chef, a griller and a former meat cutter I'll weigh in on this discussion.

The breed of animal is less important than other items. Diet and exercise are HUGE indicators of the muscle's flavor and texture. Want to experiment? Put a Holstein, Angus and, perhaps, a Charlais, in same the conditions and on the same feed. IF you can tell the difference, I'd be grately surprised.

Ciao,

I'm with you, Steve.... my mom's family raised beef and pork for market, and cows for dairy... yearly they butchered a Guernsey steer for beef... and it was always delicious. :)

I have to agree with Steve A. also. Growing up on different ranches, I was able to taste different breeds (in steak, roast, etc. form). It all depends on the feed, enviroment, etc. Also the age of the cattle at time of slaughter matters too.

im in texas as well and i have had alot of prime, angus, and washington kobe beef, and washington kobe beef is by far the best.

LOL ... easy Ishbel .... :LOL:

Most people don't know one cow from another.

I agree with Phil - Angus is about as good as it gets. I actually prefer the Red Angus - not the more common Black Angus - it's closer to the original Aberdeen Angus.

If you grew up on a farm - you'll know about this stuff ...

Last edited:
I grew up on a farm in Iowa. We raised both red/black Angus and Charlais. I cannot tell the difference in taste.

Mylegsbig said:
im in texas as well and i have had alot of prime, angus, and washington kobe beef, and washington kobe beef is by far the best.
Can you tell me where in WA this beef is coming from please? Our Wagyu is coming from KBA which is in Bend OR but if someone else in the NW is producing it would be great to know. Thanks.

Kobe beef rocks. Alberta beef is probably second. Niman Ranch is third. But that's just my tastes. This a Kobe striploin:

Attachments

• kobebeeftataki.jpg
    kobebeeftataki.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
ChefScotty said:
Can you tell me where in WA this beef is coming from please? Our Wagyu is coming from KBA which is in Bend OR but if someone else in the NW is producing it would be great to know. Thanks.

Scotty i was mistaken. The Washington Kobe beef ive tried has been at a sushi joint around here.

The one i get from my butcher is also from KBA, and i am not sure where it comes from. My apologies.

ironchef said:
Kobe beef rocks. Alberta beef is probably second. Niman Ranch is third. But that's just my tastes. This a Kobe striploin:

THANK YOU! ALBERTA(blue blood) IS AWESOME BEEF! So many people here don't know what I am talking about, but as mentioned in my other post, I LOVE ALBERTA BEEF!

I had a look in my butcher's window this morning... Aberdeen Angus fillet steak is on 'sale' (!) for 21 GB pounds per kilo. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom