How should I clean these spoons and forks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeeden

Assistant Cook
Hi all

Do you guys know the best way to clean these spoons and folks?

I have a very similar set of utensils like these also made of Jingtai-lan. I use them occationally for guests. Mine are all gold plated and enameled with Jingtai-lan (like this image I found from an ebay seller).

(cited: got this image from this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220013946953&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1 :chef:

I don't want to scratch the handles or devalue these precious things with any chemicals. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Which part is the problem - the handles or the gold-plated metal part?

The handles (Cloisonné) are pretty sturdy stuff ... just use a mild liquid dishwashing detergent, a soft sponge, and warm water.

If the gold is discoloured ... that's a bit more of a problem .. since pure gold doesn't discolour. You might try using a red-rubber eraser (like you find on the back end of a regular #2 pencil here in the US) - just rub it over the surface of the metal ... that's how we clean and shine up gold contacts on computer boards. Don't laugh - it's non abrasive, no chemicals, and does work.

But - if all else fails ... take it to a jewelry store and talk to them. It could be that they can clean it with an ultrasonic cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom