Experimenting with Cream Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tonight I was looking for something to mix with cream cheese so I used some sun dried tomato paste (just a tablespoon); tasted it and it needed something so I added some honey bbq sauce and some dried sweet red pepper. It's very good (of course you can't really do anything to screw up cream cheese).:)

txoldshirley said:
Tonight I was looking for something to mix with cream cheese so I used some sun dried tomato paste (just a tablespoon); tasted it and it needed something so I added some honey bbq sauce and some dried sweet red pepper. It's very good (of course you can't really do anything to screw up cream cheese).:)
Isn't it fun letting your imagination as well as your fingers play with food? Sounds like you made a nice combo. How did you use it?

kadesma:)

txoldshirley said:
Tonight I was looking for something to mix with cream cheese so I used some sun dried tomato paste ...(of course you can't really do anything to screw up cream cheese).:)

You could boil it. That'd screw it up a treat!!

That sundried tomato recipe sounds very good!
I did something similar last Friday - cream cheese, finely chopped & fried bacon, a little sage, a little rosemary , a little olive oil.
Plastered it on pieces of Swedish Bread!

Clive, your idea sounds good. I'm gonna try it--the sundried tomatoes and bacon (not boiling).
Kadesma--i am using it to top Ritz crackers. Gonna take it to work tomorrow and since it sat overnight, the flavor is even better today so I'm thinking tomorrow it'll be absolutely wonderful.
We are being experimental cooks at work. i'm doing the salsas and dips. We're having so much fun.

Here's something I tried. I used to mix Harry & David's Smokey Hot Tomato Relish with cream cheese, but ran out. My solution:

Chopped sundried tomatoes
couple of drops of liquid smoke
Sweet Red Chile Sauce
Garlic

One of my favorites is 8 oz cream cheese, 1 tub gorgonzola, toasted pine nuts or macadamia nuts, dried cranberries. Cream cheeses and add nuts and cranberries. Serve on crackers.

licia said:
One of my favorites is 8 oz cream cheese, 1 tub gorgonzola, toasted pine nuts or macadamia nuts, dried cranberries. Cream cheeses and add nuts and cranberries. Serve on crackers.
licia,
oh goodness does that make me want to go make some right now:LOL: I'm thinking about making some next weekend for the family, IF i can wait that long.111

kadesma:)

Kadesma, it is really delicious. We like it served on top of pear halves, also. Hope you do enjoy it. I first bought it at Costco, but they don't carry it anymore and luckily I had kept the lid with an ingredient list. So mine is a "copycat" version of my own.

One of my favourite cream cheese spreads/dips is chives or green onions, chopped pimento, sharp cheddar (shredded) and a hint of worcestershire sauce (I'll admit to being more than a little addicted to this combo, which was handed down from my mom). I love it on toasted bread, as well as wheat thins and triscuits :) (You can make it with low fat cheese and cream cheese just as easily.)

try the sun dried tomatos, artichokes, & garlic in the cream cheese.

then put it on a pita or crackers.

Half Baked said:
That sounds really good, Zlatko! I love artichokes.:)
1 year ago, when i first got to united states of A., i had pizza w/ artichoke and chicken & tomatoes. it, was very good. never back home do you find something like this, which is why i love the USofA

Last edited:
My twist on it would be shallots, garlic, goat cheese and S&P kinda like borsin spread. Also can be put into button mushrooms topped with bread crumbs and baked till cooked through about 20-30 minutes at 375. Outta this world GOOOOOOOOD:w00t: !

I know this may sound weird, but I have always loved cream cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches on white bread. :)

amber said:
I know this may sound weird, but I have always loved cream cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches on white bread. :)

Not wierd at all!
I did some sandwiches for a Summer Camp last week. Thursday's Gourmet Treat was (store -bought!) croissants, cream cheese, ham and Guava Jelly.

No complaints from 100 kids!!

Cream Cheese is commonly served with Guava Shells here as a sweet course.

:mellow: The recipes and ideas all of you have posted sound wonderful. I'm gonna have to try all of them and take them to work. Maybe it'll mean job security if I keep bringng the good food!!!

Here's one that an aunt of mine used to always make for parties. It sounded odd to me at first, but being a big-time garlic lover, I really liked it & now make it myself if I know other garlic-lovers will be coming over.

Amounts are all to taste.

One (or more) bricks of real cream cheese (forget the low-fat/no-fat stuff), softened to room temp

As many peeled, minced cloves of garlic you want (or can stand)

As many good-quality dill or sour-dill pickles, chopped, you want

Minced fresh parsley to cover.

Combine cream cheese, minced garlic, & chopped pickles & refrigerate until mixture is just still enough to handle easily. Turn out on plastic or waxed paper & form into a log or brick shape & roll in or gently press on your minced parsley to cover. Chill until serving time, then serve with your favorite sturdy crackers.

cream cheese on crackers (especially stoned wheat crackers) and jalapeno jelly is to die for delicious...and a great snack/easy appetizer

How about a cheese Danish? When Mom and I used to go to St. Louis for a shopping trip, we'd always bring home wonderful pastries from Mrs. Hullings. The cheese Danish was my favorite!

I have a friend who just mixes a little can of chopped green chilies with a package of cream cheesed, hits it with a little hot sauce, and spreads it on a cracker.

Another friend used to bring what she called "SOS" to parties. It was browned, seasoned ground beef mixed with cream cheese melted in, and was served with party rye bread. It was delicious!

Back
Top Bottom