Keeping lettuce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live around 100 miles round trip to my shopping area. We usually shop for two weeks at a time.

My problem is lettuce. Iceburg seems to last the longest, but it is my least favorite. Boston and red tip are personal favorites. When I get it home, I wash it, spin it, pat with a towel, and put it in zip lock bags. It last a bit longer, but usually doesn't go the distance as far as shopping goes.

Would anyone have any other tips I could use??

After washing it I put in a zip bag too but add a paper towel to the bag to absorb any more moisture. I usually put the lettuce in layers in the bag with the paper towel.

:rolleyes: When I buy a ton of lettuce, I wash the leaves and lay them on a bath towel (it holds alot). Then I put the towel in a garbage bag and put it in the fridge.

We eat several salads a day and I'd be at the grocery store 10x a week, if I didn't.

Silvercliff - while this probably wouldn't help you in a Wisconsin winter, & I don't know if you're into gardening or have the space, but do you grow any of your own lettuce/salad greens spring thru fall? While many varieties don't do too well here in Virginia's hot humid summers, I have terrific luck with all sorts of greens fall thru spring - in fact, I have a small cold-frame that even allows me to grow lettuce well into the winter months - even in snow!!

The best gadget I've ever seen for that was a "lettuce keeper" I bought from Tupperwear many years ago. The bowl was just the right size and shape for a large head of lettuce, and it had a separate little plastic piece with a prong that sat in the bottom of the bowl. You'd put a little water in the bottom of the bowl, put the plastic piece on top, core your lettuce, stick it on the plastic prong and snap the lid in place.
Another method that my grandmother used when she was getting ready for one of her many luncheons, was to wash the lettuce, shake it dry and store in a pillowcase. It keeps quite well that way. I've done that for parties, and put the bag in a cooler with a little ice when I didn't have room in the fridge.

You sure live in some beautiful country, Silvercliff. When I was in my teens, our family used to vacation at Jung's Fishing Resort, up in Boulder Junction. There was no TV, and the only radio station played polka music. But I soon found a young man to keep me company, and we explored the lake and it's islands in an old rowboat. What a time that was!

silvercliff_46 said:
I live around 100 miles round trip to my shopping area. We usually shop for two weeks at a time.

My problem is lettuce. Iceburg seems to last the longest, but it is my least favorite. Boston and red tip are personal favorites. When I get it home, I wash it, spin it, pat with a towel, and put it in zip lock bags. It last a bit longer, but usually doesn't go the distance as far as shopping goes.

Would anyone have any other tips I could use??

Dennis - this may sound wierd ( and it DID sound wierd to me the first time I heard it) but some people cannot handle lettuce without damaging it. I'm not suggesting anything - I'm NOT one of those people, fortunately, but in my local Supermarket there's a guy whose job is to look after lettuce ALL DAY LONG!!! I spoke to him one day and he said that some people touch the lettuce and it turns brown, or wilts almost immediately!

Well, as strange as that might seem, I suppose there's some truth in it.
I handle lettuce as little as possible, whisk it around in the spinner before I use it ( water only - no acids), leave it whole until I pull the leaves off but wrapped in a paper towel in the fridge.
If you live 100 miles away, Dennis, hey - get them lettuce seed into the ground, my friend!!

Air is a big contributor to lettuce deteriorating once it is cut or cored. Remove as much air as possible from the ziplock, or use a vacuum sealer. At work we keep our cut lettuce submerged in water. I don't know if that would be any help to you, as we normally use it up within 2 days.

Have you ever purchased the butter lettuce that is hydroponically grown, that comes in it's own little greenhouse? You buy it, still living, and don't need any soil. That way it never goes bad. It's a great little goodie!

I was going to suggest you may be a candidate for FoodSaver vac sealer. You could get the ones that draw the partial vacuum on things like fruit or lettuce but you can do much the same with the cheapy variety ($50) by just drawing most of the air out and sealing. Since you seem to live so far from stores, you may REALLY benefit from a vac sealer for many things for long term storage.

jkath said:
Have you ever purchased the butter lettuce that is hydroponically grown, that comes in it's own little greenhouse? You buy it, still living, and don't need any soil. That way it never goes bad. It's a great little goodie!

YES!!! I used to be able to buy this, but it was dropped. Folks weren't buying it because it cost more the regular lettuce. It did, but I never had it go bad. In the long run you saved money. It tasted great too.

I have a FoodSaver, I guess I could figure a way to vac it without crushing it.

Off Topic
As for you Constance..., HMMMMMmmmmm!, perhaps we have met before. Back in the day, I have explored the lake with a young tourist gal or two, and polka'd in the moonlight.:shifty: :brows: :rolleyes:

The Food Saver, Vacuum pack is the only way to go.
I can save iceberg, mixed package lettuces for 4 to 6 weeks.

I also cut up all my salad veggies, peppers, onions, radishes, pea pods, carrots and celery and vacuum them. I only do enough for a week as the peppers start to get slimy after 5 days.

Enjoy,
Charlie

Back
Top Bottom