Duck Breast with Port & Blueberry sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queequeg

Assistant Cook
Next week I will be cooking for a couple of friends and wanted to cook duck breast. I really wanted to steer away from Duck in orange or in oriental style sauces as this is the way that all three of us have certainly eaten duck on many occasions before and I want to cook it differently. I found this reciepe on the net (see the link below) which looks much more intreasting. I will probably serve it with dauphinoises rather than the rosti as suggested and buttered spinach as I can't see nutmug and spinach working:glare: .

Anyway the only thing I feel I might be tempted to change is adding perhapes a tsp or so of sherry or redwine vinegar (providing my taste buds agree during the cooking) to cut through the sweetness of the redcurrent jelly. I plan to use the vinegar with care because the blueberrys are little sharper than your usual fruit fair used with duck and the Djion is likely to have a little vinegar anyway.

Has anyboady cooked anything simalar? or have another recipe for duck with blueberry and port?

http://www.foodiesite.com/recipes/2001-03/duckblueberries.xml

Last edited:
That looks like a spectacular and easy dinner. I think the idea of cutting the sweetness with a few drops of vinegar is a good one.

As for the nutmeg and spinach, I do that all the time. The flavor is subtle but I find it adds just 'something' to the spinach. I think it would be excellent as side to this dish.

I'd be tempted to leave it alone. The mustard is a very strong flavor. A tsp will cut the swetness quite a bit.

Totally go for getting some vinegar into that sauce and I'd deglaze the pan with some merlot before doing the sauce. And a creamed spinach would then sit better on the plate I would suggest rather than one which is done with olive oil. Nutmeg - totally. Just so as you know it is in there and it isn't terribly noticeable, it will add depth to the flavor. Here's a cut and paste for creamed spinach if you fancy trying it, although with dauphinoise it might be cream overkill. I'd probably use shallots instead of onion here. I'm sure whatever you do it'll be excellent.

Butter 5 T, Flour, plain1/4 C, Salt1/4 t, Black Pepper1/4 t, Nutmeg dash, Half and half 1 C, Cream Cheese 4 oz, Onion, small, minced, Chopped spinach 1 1/4 #, Water1/4 C

METHOD:In a large frying pan saute the onion in 2T of the butter until transparent. Stir in thespinach and water. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer for about 8 mins.In a saucepan, melt the remaining 3T of the butter and stir in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Slowly whisk in the cream then slowly stir in the cream cheese.Combine. After reheating mix in three good shavings of parmesan to finish.Check seasoning.

I think i'll keep the vinegar on standby, Djion varies quite a bit on the vinegar content depending on the supply. I'll give it a tasting pre and post Djion and see if it needs any addtional vinegar to slice through the flavours. Chances are it won't.

Surely I can delaze the duck remenants with the port.

You can certainly deglaze with port. Using a spot of merlot or pinot would layer the sauce with a touch of smoke and spice and berry.

Back
Top Bottom