Portable, tasty cake recipes TNT please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyles

Head Chef
I'm joining a new team at work, and they bake! They have a baking roster, so I will need to start making cakes again. I don't bake anymore due to having to lose a lot of weight.

So I need some recipe help. I need robust cakes that will survive a commute on two trams and a bus. So a delicate sponge for example, is no good. No delicate frosting or anything! Nothing too time consuming!

And preferably not chocolate, I love chocolate, and the hard thing will be not really being able to eat the finished product! So no little cakes like muffins or cupcakes, as they are too easy for me to nibble at! Hope this all makes sense. I know we have some wonderful bakers here, and I really need some help!

I have a ton, Kyles! Here's one of my favorites that my grandma always used to make. It's great for the fall:

Apple Dump Cake

1 ½ c sugar
1 ¼ c vegetable oil (do NOT substitute apple sauce for oil!)
2 eggs
3 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
3 c diced apples
1 c chopped nuts
1 c raisins, optional.

Preheat oven to 350.

Put all ingredients into a large bowl. Mix with your hands as you would a meatloaf, gently but thoroughly. Do not use a spoon or a mixer. Bake in an ungreased 9”x13” pan for 1 hour. Cool before cutting.

I'll try to post more later.

Last edited:
Bundt Cakes! Here's one:
Apricot Nectar Cake
1 pkg. yellow butter cake mix
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. oil
1 c. apricot nectar
4 eggs, beaten
Mix all ingredients , adding eggs one at a time. Pour into well greased Bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from pan; allow to cool. Prepare glaze and drizzle over cake.

Apricot Nectar Cake Glaze: Blend juice of 1 lemon and 1 cup powdered sugar. Drizzle over cool cake.

Thanks PA Baker. SharonT that looks lovely but you can't get Apricot Nectar here......... don't know why!

kyles said:
Thanks PA Baker. SharonT that looks lovely but you can't get Apricot Nectar here......... don't know why!

Have you looked in ethnic groceries--Indian? You can probably use a puree of fruit--peaches.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/tnt-summer-berry-cake-23915.html?highlight=summer+cake

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/rec-deep-dark-chocolate-cake-18055.html?highlight=chocolate+cake

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/tnt-french-apple-cake-19520.html?highlight=french+apple+cake

They are easy and delicious! Both the berry and the choc cakes can be made in a 9x13 pan and transported that way. The apple cake you can leave in the pan and when you get to your destination, flip it over to reveal a beautiful apple topped cake.

Last edited:
What about sweet corn bread?
Just add cinnamon (i would say probably 2-4 tbs depending on how much you're making) to practically any recipe. I use a ready-made mix called Jiffy available here in the US (maybe this is sacrelige for the real bakers here) but a little sweet corn bread and butter is as agood as any cake in my opinion. i recommend heating up in the mircowave before serving and drizzling some honey on top before serving.

EASY CORN BREAD
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. cornmeal
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. skim milk
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 8 or 9 inch square pan. Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil and egg until moistened. Pour into pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

here's a recipe i found online but alas haven't tried.

GINGER PEACH UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
Topping:
4T butter
¼ cup brown sugar
3 cups fresh sliced peaches*
1 ½ T minced crystalized ginger

Cake:
1 1/3 cups flour
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground ginger
8T butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
½ cup milk

Preheat oven to 350. In 9inch round cake pan, melt butter over low heat; stir in brown sugar and cook for 3-4 minutes, til the mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Reserve 5 of the peach slices for the center; arrange the remaining slices, side by side, in a ring on the brown sugar mixture, about ¼ inch from the sides of the pan. Arrange the reserved slices in a pinwheel pattern in the center. Sprinkle the crystallized ginger over the peaches; set aside.

Mix together flour, baking powder, ginger, and salt. Beat butter for 30 seconds at medium speed, til creamy. Beat in sugar and continue to beat for 2-3 minutes, til the mixture is light. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla; on low speed, beat in half theflour mixture til just combined. Scrape down bowl and beat in milk, then the remaining flour til just combined. Spoon batter over peaches in pan; spread batter evenly over peaches, covering completely and making sure the batter touches the sides of the pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, til tests clean. Cool for 3 minutes; then run a knife around the sides of the pan; invert a serving plate over the cake and invert the cake and pan onto the plate; lift off the cake pan and replace any peaches that may have stuck. Cool slightly; serve warm or room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream.

* Sub out canned if no fresh are available. Drain well.

HUMMINGBIRD CAKE
3 cups flour
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
1tsp. soda
2cups chopped nuts
3 eggs
1tsp. salt
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
1tsp. cinnamon
1 8oz.can crushed pineapple with juice
2 cups chopped - not mashed - bananas

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Mix dry ingredients together. Beat eggs with oil and add, along with vanilla, and pineapple. Do not beat. Fold in banana chunks. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes; cool in pan and remove.

Icing:
1 8oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 stick butter
1tsp. vanilla
1 box powdered sugar (16 oz)
1 cup chopped nuts

Beat together til smooth, fold in nuts.
Note to Kyles: If the weather is really warm, you may want to transport the icing separately and frost at work.

JMediger said:
What other kind of pan could you use? Would an angel food cake pan work? I don't own a bundt pan ...
Yes, a tube pan that holds at least 9 cups would be fine.

Spumoni Cake

Here's another Bundt (or tube pan!) cake:

Spumoni Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
8 ounces sour cream
3/4 cup cooking oil
4 eggs
1 (3 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding mix
½ cup chopped nuts
1 teaspoon almond extract
green food coloring
1 small jar maraschino cherries, chopped
red food coloring
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
Glaze:
2 tbsp. cocoa
1 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. corn syrup

Mix together well the cake mix, sour cream, oil, eggs and vanilla pudding mix. Divide mixture into 3 bowls. To bowl 1, add: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1 tsp. almond extract and 5 drops green coloring. To bowl 2, add: 12 to 14 maraschino cherries, chopped, and 5 drops red coloring. To bowl 3, add: 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted. Pour into Bundt or ring pan; green, red and then chocolate in layers. (Do not stir or mix.)
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from pan and drizzle with glaze.
For Glaze: Stir all ingredients over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat and beat in 1 cup confectioners sugar. Drizzle over cake.

Thanks for starting this one Kyles....husband's new office also have a "bringing things in roster" although most are not homemade. This is going to be a very useful thread for me too!

And thanks for asking for whole cakes, I won't be able to be tempted, because they will be leaving my kitchen whole and untouched. Phew!

lulu said:
Thanks for starting this one Kyles....husband's new office also have a "bringing things in roster" although most are not homemade. This is going to be a very useful thread for me too!

And thanks for asking for whole cakes, I won't be able to be tempted, because they will be leaving my kitchen whole and untouched. Phew!

Ours is a baking team, so it has to be home made! That's one of the reasons for the "no chocolate rule".......I'm sure I am the only on this forum who can eat raw chocolate cake batter!!! :ROFLMAO: :pig: :ohmy:

The recipes are great everyone!!! Can't wait to start baking again! I was going to sell all my cake tins on eBay, but I guess I'll be needing them now! :chef:

Uhuh, I have a friend who lost three stone having stopped licking out her mixing bowls! LOL. She also had the cupcake habit (Make a dozen, give ten!).

Is there a difference between a tube pan and a bundt pan? What about parfaits - Jello, etc? You can test the waters to see if it indeed has to be a sweet dish...and just how sweet "sweet" has to be. Banana bread is usually a good option, especially if you find a recipe that produces good, moist banana bread. Cookies travel well, or some kind of bar. I know they are not cakes but sometimes tradition can joyfully be broken - personally I think there is nothing better in the world than a well made, tollhouse chocolate chip cookie...simple and elegant, and tasty (as long as you use real butter and real vanilla :pig:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom