Pets - venting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Texas, find a small, cheap area rug and throw it over that spot. Use a good quality pet smell spray on the carpet first, then on the small throw rug. Make the throw rug one of those that can be thrown in the washer. If you can't defer the dog from peeing on that spot, at least you can make it something you can wash. At least yours is one spot. I was thrilled this weekend. We were gone much of the day for three days in a row, and Keiki had only one small accident in all that time. And then she actually went into the bathroom nearest the door to do her business, so she was trying. She's 12 years old and is doing her best. The odd part is that we never trained her at all, to anything. She just followed her mother's example. So I guess we should not be surprised that she lost it when her mother died.

You Did It

Brings back the memory of letting one of our dogs go only 3-4 weeks ago. Have her ashes and wish I could just let her 'dump' one more time! Such a good dog, even started crying when we were going to the vet. Won't forget that ever! After seeing her dragging her back legs for almost 6 months w/no improvement was breaking my heart. Doctor said that since we were always regulating the insulin would improve her condition. Never did. She was messing almost regular in the house and then outside was unbearable w/heat. Too many negatives. She had such a loving spirit. Wouldn't even cry when accidently stepped on her leg. She didn't cry but I did. She was happy to be around but wasn't able to do what she wanted. I made the decision, I couldn't allow her to live like this. The vet acted like he didn't want me to stay when he did it. I don't think he wants to see people cry. He has put other dogs of mine down but must be getting more sensitive about our feelings. Only thankful he is kind man and know he wasn't mean when he did it. Oh does this hurt. Weather doesn't help it is so cloudy and dogs are part of the family. My last memory of her is dragging those back feet. Maybe there would have been a way to help her physically the way they do people w/crutches or some kind of wheels. In my heart, I don't think she would have liked that. Too much energy she had.

ITK, remember happy things about her; when she was a pup, running around, acting goofy. We just lost our sheltie two months ago, and that's what I"m doing. I'm glad our Buddy is in a place where he's not in pain anymore.

I had to dig this thread back up since I need some help with our 4 month old puppy. She's a dalmation, hyper as can be, and began biting our 4 year old. The puppy is so big now that she'll jump on him and knock him to the ground, sratches and bites. He's been in obedience class but nothing seems to help. I know the puppy is lonely since we're all gone to school and work all day and we end up tying her up since she does not stay still and attacks our little one. We hate to do that to her. Any pointers, tips or recommendations on how to stop the puppy from doing this would be greatly appreciated.

We haven't had a dog in a long time and not with young children, but you might want to go to the library and check out any books by Cesar Milan, also known as the "dog whisperer." He seems to have a feel for what makes doggies tick.

Just bought some new clothes for our first pet-free vacation in years. For anyone who is not reading the other thread, we have our dog back. So much for my vacation. But .... I'm happy to have her home. It really bothered me to think of her dying alone and afraid out in the wild. I love her and am happy to have her home.

Our poor Abby is too aggresive. She'll bark at every dog she sees and jump and scratch anyone in front of her. The obedience classes are good but our kids need to be consistant about teaching her. Once work is over this Friday, I'll start giving our little girl more attention, exercise and discipline. A friend suggested a shock collar but that seems too harsh to do to a 6 month old puppy.

A lot of people encourage over aggressive behavior in their pets without really knowing it. That's where obedience training comes in. I don't think it is for the dogs so much as for the people. Quite often, if you really look at your family, you will discover someone who is encouraging behaviors that you don't want. In one friend's family, they had a dog who jumped up on everyone. The kids and mom were trying to train her not to jump, but as soon as dad came home he pounded on his chest and started to get her to jump on him and wrestle. Duh. I told him he might consider having her sit, give her a treat, then if he wants to wrestle, get down on the floor with her to play. Obedience training worked out MUCH better after he took my advice.

I've also been told that if you have agression problems with a dog, you should avoid the much-loved games of tug-of-war and go for fetch. Luckily with my JRs, aggression wasn't a problem (I understand that is unusual).

Oh, BTW, by the time I had a chance to mention the too-tight collar, they had fixed the problem themselves. Their dog had a growth spurt and they'd not noticed.

Dina, I know this is much-belated, but have you had your dalmation checked for deafness? It is a common problem with dalmations and can make them difficult to train. Many breeds "suffer" from popularity, as has been mentioned before. They get over-bred. Dalmations are one breed that has had that problem since the movies popularized them. You can check your dog for deafness very easily. Sometimes they aren't ignoring your commands, they simply cannot hear you. Sneak up behind with a whistle, a can with pennies in it, or even just clapping your hands. If you can't startle your dog, there you go.

When Keiki got lost, we thought she was gone for good because we knew she was close to totally deaf. Only a miracle brought her back to us. Needless to say, we don't much complain about her "accidents" any more.

Katie E said:
We haven't had a dog in a long time and not with young children, but you might want to go to the library and check out any books by Cesar Milan, also known as the "dog whisperer." He seems to have a feel for what makes doggies tick.

We watch Cesar Milan's show "The Dog Whisperer" on the National Geographic Channel. I have gotten so many wonderful ideas from him and he has trained 'us' how to react when our dogs do something that we don't approve of and put a stop to it.

I think this man is amazing. One woman on the show said that when you watch the program, it looks like Cesar comes to the house and the dog problem is fixed in 5 minutes. She turned to the camera and said, "It's just the way it looks on the show".

Back
Top Bottom