Thermometers... How fast should it read?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thecactuswill

Senior Cook
Now its been awhile since I worked at a restaurant, and I'm not a cook. But if my memory serves correct, the thermometer should read immediately upon insertion, is that right or no? A thermometer I just bought takes forever to read and it seems kind of pointless.

electric ones should be at w/e the room temp is in the area when you turn it on and it changes about once a second when its making a huge chance.
And then the normal temps (the ones i use) you can just watch the little arm go up.

A digital thermometer runs on a battery. If it's on all the time, the battery will run out faster and respond slower. If you can turn if off, do so, until you need it. Assuming the battery is fine, it shouldn't take more than 10-15 seconds to get an accurate read.

The 'regular' ones have a tiny spring coil that moves the indicator. Little should interfere with it's movement, unless it's been dropped or if moisture has gotten in... That one, also should take no more than 10 seconds. This one you have to calibrate often with an ice bath method.

About 10 seconds as Vera suggests. There are some that are pretty instant but they are also very pricey. You also have to get the sensor into the meat so you have to insert it correctly. If it is a roast or a chop/steak it needs to go in horizontally, not verically

Thermapen is one of the better, quicker, but more expensive kitchen thermometers around right now. It is so expensive because (in part) it gets such a fast reading. Check out their page for more detailed info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom