What is your favorite beef steak cut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rickell said:
I really like the ribeye and tenderloin. What is yours I am looking to
try some new ideas.

Assuming we're talking tender cuts and not those that need braising, I have to say that I prefer the New York cut or Porterhouse, which includes the tenderloin. I prefer the former, though, as I'm not a big fan of tenderloin (filet mignon): It's texture is a bit mushy for my tastes.

Heaven is a good NY steak cooked medium-rare with a little salt and fresh pepper, perhaps rubbed with a tiny of bit of oiive oil. Don't do anything else to my steak, or I'll get very, very angry.:mad:

Filet/Tenderloin, and Chateau Briand, then there's NY Strip- or maybe Sirloin,

Hey, at this house they are all good, but we buy/eat Filet about ten to one... more good stuff for the dollar... all the other steak cuts have too many "chewey" bits and fat for our taste.

While I readily admit to rarely not enjoying any beef cut so long as it's cooked properly, I have to admit that when buying/cooking a steak for myself I tend to lean towards the cheaper cuts - chuck steaks, cuts intended for London broil, skirt steak, etc. I really enjoy making up & trying different marinades, & I've yet to be disappointed in either the tenderness or taste - in fact, I find the cheaper cuts quite quite often have a lot more beef flavor then their pricier counterparts.

BC, thanks for the reminder. I really enjoy a marinated flank steak on the grill. If prepared and sliced properly it's not tough and it's a very flavorful cut.

My sister got some that I think she said was between the ribeye and the chuck that were very good, but I can't remember what she called them. It was more tender than the chuck and flavorful like the ribeye. I'll have to ask her the name, unless someone here has had them. I don't know meat cuts well.

Nothing makes me happier than a beautiful grilled ribeye - and we actually prefer bone in. I think there's more flavor when you cook on the bone. Flank steak marinated and grilled is awesome! Love it.

I have 2 lbs of tenderloin in the freezer for beef sashimi, and I do like a nice little filet with a bit of truffle butter on top!:-p:):)

Iam abit of a purist when talking about steak. A lot of people prefer the leaner tender cuts of steak for grilling such as fillet (I must admit though I am not entirely familar with Porterhouse, but my understanding is its not to dissimilar to T-bone) and I used to be of the same thinking prefering Ribeye to other steaks. However providing you cooking the steak right (by this I mean rare-medium rare) and buy quality beef many of the commonly considered tougher cuts are just as tender and its these tougher cuts that have worked for a living on an animal giving them the most flavour. Which is why my favorite cut of steak is Rump. Rump is by far the most flavoursome and leaner than its closets flavour rival Ribeye with the fat being marbled through out the meat rather than as a crewy gelatinous mass. I have had Rump so tender that a steak knife would cut almost like butter and it sadens me when people buy fillet and such under the idea that its the best cut of steak. Fillet is expensive because you only get 3Kg per entire cow and is often consider a great cooking steak because of its ability to stay tender even when mistreated rather than because of its flavour.

Well thats my opinon, when it comes to food if you can't talk about steak passionately then want can you be passionate about:ROFLMAO:

BreezyCooking said:
While I readily admit to rarely not enjoying any beef cut so long as it's cooked properly, I have to admit that when buying/cooking a steak for myself I tend to lean towards the cheaper cuts - chuck steaks, cuts intended for London broil, skirt steak, etc. I really enjoy making up & trying different marinades, & I've yet to be disappointed in either the tenderness or taste - in fact, I find the cheaper cuts quite quite often have a lot more beef flavor then their pricier counterparts.

I've read that fat is what gives steak a lot of it's flavor. And it seems to be true from my experience. I made steaks on the grill last Friday and it was some sort of chuck (can't remember exactly). It was really good off the grill. My wife didn't even use A-1!

When grilling steak fat makes it more tasty providing the fat in in the muscle fiber and not on the outside of the steak. Although fat on the rind as it were will add flavour to a grilled steak you don't usally eat it hence losing some of the real goodies. Chuck and skirt are both usally well marbled, but are pritty fibrous. Thats the trade off for their really strong flavours. I think chuck is best off left for stews but if you were going to grill it I would tenderise it with a manrinade first and slice it thinly into minute steaks. Skirt apparently makes good rare patties.

Back
Top Bottom